Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trudy is doing well in her beginning class, but we tried the A frame ramp, which is a mini about 4' high at a steep angle, and she couldn't do it. Her little stubby legs couldn't seem to make the spacing of the cleats. Next week we will try a lower angle, but I am wondering if bassets use a modified version of this? Meanwhile we will keep studying....

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
depend on the venue In AKC full height is 5 ft on a 9 foot frame angle is more important than the height, Most trial equipment is rubber surfaces slats become unimportant, with rubber surfaces for the most part.

akc rules Panels may be 4 feet wide at the bottom and taper to 3
feet wide at the top if desired. The height of the A-Frame is
to be set within 1 inch of 5 feet 6 inches, except for 4-inch
and 8-inch jump heights, which shall have the A-Frame set to
within 1 inch of 5 feet 0 inches.

most Basset jump 8" preferred class in akc

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am hoping rubber has better grip? Her feet slide on the surface between the cleats, and she gets stressed. This is the first time I have ever seen her quit on anything. I will encourage her, but I won't push her on this.

She climbed up on a big tree stump about 3' tall when I had my back turned....so she will climb....she will also jump on her own, but this was something else. Will see how we do next class.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW....can someone post about inserting a photo? I uploaded one to my album, and tried to copy and paste it into the "insert photo" request for url....but it doesn't seem to have worked.....my photos are on my computer not on the web.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
to use the insert photo in ubb code the photo must be hosted on the webb so there is a URL for the photo. If only on your own computer/phone etc then all you can do is attach the photos. which can be accessed by hitting the go advanced button.

You can use your album on this site as a host for your pictures or something like imageevent.com

example. right Click on first picture in your album highlight and click copy image address. in post click on picture icon right
click on text box Click paste in drop down menu then click the ok button voila

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
What is the surface like between the cleats? For most contact obstacles, the surface has sand mixed with the paint to give traction.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the photo post instructions....I thought that is what I did, but it didn't seem to work. Something about the forum loads REALLY slooooowly....so that may be part of it?

Soundtrack....there does appear to be sand in the paint, but it is still too slippery for her to grab. I tried to get her to give it a running start, but by then she was spooked. Ramp at home she will do at lower angles, but when it gets steep, she baulks. EVEN with a slice of ham as a reward......

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
need the angle low enough to build confidence and speed and drive over it . once you have that then make is just slightly steeper . continue practicing at the new height until the speed and confidence are back then raise again. I do thing it is a good idea to practice at a steeper angle than actual competition where stress becomes an added factor. .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. She wants to jump down, so am trying to get her to take it slow and stay on it to the ground. Will just take it lower/slower for now....wish us luck tonight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked! Got to the point she would run up, and increased the angle. Got to class and first attempt a no go. Trainer placed the table along side and had her go from the table to the ramp and down. Then got her higher on the ramp and down...then Trudy went over and down! We got a run at it and up and over no problem!

Later I did the complete session off lead the first time.....tunnel, 2 jumps, tire, table, dog walk, small A frame! Clean Run and looked like a pro! Everyone cheered! Good Times....THANKS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts