Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Hi Christina....Scully is still slinging major amounts of drool over to the island for Mocha, you, and your family. It must be so difficult for all of you to be faced with all of this. It's a good sign though that Mocha is responding to the treatment so far, and hopefully they can get her stabilized and she does not have any organ damage.

You sure do have some tough decisions ahead of you, but I really hope that Mocha continues to improve and a favorable solution can be found so that she can live out a normal life with you...meds and all!

Sending hugs and keeping you in my thoughts...


· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The vet office is closed today and I haven't been able to get through to page anyone ... I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Mitch came over last night and he's confirmed what I already know, that there is no way he can continue to cover her costs ... particularly for long term care. (He's already done so much anyhow, I was feeling really bad about it).

The vet suggested I email the breeder to let her know what's going on, but I guess there's nothing she can or will do to help.

I've been checking the groups and anything I can online for financial help, but have been running in to a lot of dead ends.

For AAHA - they will only help with the initial emergency care, not the ongoing treatments (which is where I'll really need help) and they only supply up to $500 ... it's already well over that. I will print out the page and bring it to my vet because it says they'd require a letter from him too along with my application ...

Care Credit will help cover the cost initially (if approved) but you still have to make payments and pay them back, that on top of the ongoing medication and care Mocha would require is again too much.

Help-a-pet is United States only, also it's a one time only emergency fun if approved, again, no help for ongoing care that the vet has said Mocha would require.

Imom is not currently accepting any applications for assistance until further notice ...

The Pet Fund doesn't help with emergency situations, they do help with treatments, but there is an extensive waiting list and limited funding available (they have a cap of $500), and they will also not help with "procedures already in progress" - that rules Mocha out as she's already being treated.

The UAN helps individuals who have just gone through something like a house fire or natural disaster or domestic violence situation, etc. But they had a link to a Canadian organization located in Alberta ... except they only help with cancer patients.

have to find some type of something for her today, or by the time the clinic opens tomorrow. As it sits right now I already have no way to pay the vet fees so far and there's no way I could afford the type of care Mocha's going to require from now on. So I pray I find something. I'll be able to talk to the vet tomorrow too and see if they can possibly suggest any other alternatives to the one I am being faced with.

I'm hoping there is something here like I can go to the papers or something and find Mocha someone willing / able to take her in, knowing she's sick and able to deal with the ongoing medical bills etc. ... I just don't know.

This is tearing us up -

At this point there is nothing more I can do for her, so I am hoping and praying that I can find someone who is able / willing to help, either by adopting her or helping to provide me with the means to care properly for her because as things are right now, her future is not bright.

Joseph is having some serious issues, we had gotten the houndies in the first place for him (he's my autistic son) and he has been doing so well since we have gotten them, they have been a blessing - but now Joe won't come out of his room and the last few days have been horrible for him. I'm beside myself trying to deal with him and the situation with Mocha - and even Beldin won't calm down. He howls all night.

Anyhow, thanks for the information links and the financial assistance links ... hopefully I'll be able to find something before it's too late for Mocha.

And thank you for your emails and PMs and words of support and encouragement.


I just got a call from the vet tech on duty at the clinic, he says Mocha is still responding well, she won't eat or drink still but she is more alert.

Other than that he says he has no information for me but he will call the vet that has been working with Mocha and will have him give me a call to discuss financial options etc ...

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just got a call from the administrator at the vet clinic. They are going to work out a payment plan with me for what's currently owing (close to a thousand dollars) -

- also they are going to do what they can to find Mocha a place where she will be able to get the ongoing medical attention she will require in a low stress environment and be well taken care of ...

It was an extremely hard decision to make but a lot better than the alternative. At least I know she will be alive and taken care of.

I need to go in tomorrow to sign the papers.

We are also going to have Beldin tested (just in case) I need to make sure this isn't going to happen again. The kids and I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I may need to find a counsellor for the kids (particularly Joseph) My daughter is crying but I was able to explain to her that Mocha will be alright - she will be well looked after, just we are not able to take care of her here.

I think she understands now and she is just happy that Mocha is alive ... I told her my heart hurts too. I wish Mocha could come home but we simply do not have the means to keep her well.

Hopefully Beldin's tests will all come back clear and we can all start with healing and doing our best to move on. Beldin has also been really depressed and not eating and howling and crying ... but the vet said he should get over that in time. He suggested we may want to get some canned food to entice Beldin to start eating again.

Right at this moment I feel empty, drained and numb ... I am happy though that Mocha will be taken care of. I just pray that she will be happy and very well taken care of in whichever new home they find for her.

The vet said that sometimes a new host family will be willing to keep in touch with the old family but most times when children are involved they prefer full closure (particularly in the case where a child is special needs sometimes they said it is better to say good-bye and just let them get over it with time).

Thank you all so much for being there for me and encouragement during this time ... it has really meant a lot to me. - I'll keep you informed and let you know how Beldin does.

Thanks again.

**big hugs**

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I went to the vet's this morning to sign the papers basically giving Mocha over to them so they can continue to treat her and to get her on a program through the local animal shelters to find her a home that can afford her medications and continued treatments etc. I cried a lot but the vet administrator said she'd do the same thing. They assure me they will do everything they possibly can to find Mocha a good home where she will be well taken care of. She said they've all fallen in love with her there since she's been there (she is a wonderful dog) and they're all pulling for her.

I have a bill now for $832.21 that I have to pay off, but the vet says that as long as I continue to make payments and show good faith then they can accept whatever I can give, even if it's only 20 bucks a month til it's paid off.

I still have to make an appointment to get Beldin tested to make sure he doesn't have the same issue, but that'll be $135 that I don't have right now. It needs to be done though, neither the kids nor I could go through all this again. The breeder that I originally got Mocha and Beldin from is having her dogs tested as well.

My arm is healing ... I was also at the people clinic today and they changed the dressing - most of my arm has already healed over quite nicely and there shouldn't be too much scarring. There's only one area they're still concerned about where the 3rd degree burn was and looked like it took a chunk out of my arm ... they treated the area and put some more special cream stuff on it and want me to keep coming back every day to have the dressing changed ... they're hoping it'll start to look alright in about a week.

And I had a job interview today with a local security company. I start training on Thursday. (I just need to get my license renewed).

Joey has an appointment coming up with his counsellors and psychologist to help him through all this.

Anyhow, that's pretty much it in a nutshell at the moment ... it's been a hell of a week.

· Registered
752 Posts
As sad as all this is, it does look like you've made some hard, but good decisions, and are making some positive steps forward.

My heart is aching for you over Mocha and we're sending lots of drool that Belkin doesn't have Addisons.

I am saying prayers that Joey gets through this with no major setbacks. Autism is such a hard disease.

God news about the job - now go get your renewal!

· Registered
1,490 Posts
I just caught up with all your posts. I am so sorry all this has happened to you and Mocha. Do keep us updated on her and you as well. You, your family, and Mocha will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this terrible time.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm late reading all of your postings! I am SOOOO sorry you have had to deal with this on top of everything else.

I really hope things settle down for you and your family and that you have no more bad news.

Take GOOD care and hope your arm heals soon too!

Janice and little Ruby
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.