Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Philly Dawg see April 19th article

Quote:
"Last week it looked like Proposition B, "The Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act," in Missouri was dead.
Today Gov. Nixon announced a deal to save the major provisions of the proposition, drawing praise from animal welfare advocates, breeders and the farm lobby alike.
"The agreement that was signed today upholds the intent of the voters, protects dogs and ensures that Missouri agriculture will continue to grow," said Nixon in a statement.
Prop B was similar to Pennsylvania's 2008 dog law in that it required larger cage sizes, exercise and mandatory vet care - provisions that remain under the deal.
Gone are the requirements to limit the number of breeding dogs to no more than 50 and gives breeders more time to make changes.
"This new legislative effort will help restore many of the standards of care contained in Prop B and will help ensure the humane treatment of dogs confined in commercial breeding establishments,"Now Nixon is expected to work to get a new bill through the legislature by the May 13 deadline."

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can't imagine that any reputable breeder could care for more than 50 breeding dogs at a time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I can't imagine that any reputable breeder could care for more than 50 breeding dogs at a time.
I'm only caring for two, neither of which I breed and it's a bit overwhelming at times! I couldn't imagine caring for 50 at a time.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I can. I've seen it. It used to be done all the time.

I visited a well-known breeder's kennel, she had around 50 dogs at the time. The kennel was beautiful and spotless. The dogs had plenty of space, indoors and out. There was staff devoted to their care.

Just because you can't imagine doing it yourself doesn't mean it can't be done.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can. I've seen it. It used to be done all the time.

I visited a well-known breeder's kennel, she had around 50 dogs at the time. The kennel was beautiful and spotless. The dogs had plenty of space, indoors and out. There was staff devoted to their care.

Just because you can't imagine doing it yourself doesn't mean it can't be done.
When the health and well-being of the dogs is the priority, it can be done; in fact Murray came from a large kennel of about 40 dogs and it was beautifully run.

When making money is the priority you end up with the puppymills we see around here in Lancaster county, where dogs live in misery and 80 dogs were shot at one puppymill in 2008 because the owners didn't want to spend money for flea control as ordered by the Bureau of Dog Law.

There are puppymills within 30 miles of my house with 600 -800 dogs and the lives they endure breaks my heart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts