Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basset hound is not the most common breed, although most people have seen them
before. Still there are some people who get it wrong, to my big amusement.

I've come across a few people that claims that it must be a dachshund, and some
thinks that it is a bloodhound - even after I've told them that no, it is a basset.
A little boy once pointed at my previous basset, a red and white, and exclaimed
"mammy, look a cow!". And then it was the little girl that wonder why my dog was
so sad.

What funny comments/misidentifications have you experienced?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Scully gets called a lot of things. One of the most imaginative ones that pops into mind was when this little kid came up to me and said she looked like a combination of a giant weiner dog + an elephant + a turkey!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't gotten anything too strange - usually a beagle if they don't get it right. I was walking maggie a couple mornings ago and there were a few kids on a porch waiting for their ride to school. One started yelling, "weiner dog, wiener dog"... I was actually getting annoyed, but I figured snapping at them was not the way to go! :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have 2 dogs a basset of course and a mutt. Well the funniest reaction I ever got from that was an elderly man walking with his wife. He looked at me, smiled and suddenly burst out laughing, he tried so hard not to that that itself was hilarious but my 2 look so funny one is short and stumpy the other lean and tall. Mom calls them Mutt & Jeff.

Another man who amuses me when I walk by is a fellow who calls this breed Bagels. Yup those Bagels sure do have a distinctive bark don't they? Love those Bagels, yup sure do... would recognize one anywhere. I just don't have the heart to tell him it's Basset not Bagel. Oh well.

Lou

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Once, while walking Moe (adult male Basset) and Tally (adult female Dachshund tweenie- larger than a mini but smaller than a standard) I overheard a woman say to her child "Look at the mommy dog and her little baby dog!"... :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I couldn't figure that one out. <_< They're two TOTALLY different breeds and Moe is so obviously NOT a HER! :eek: (Those of you with males know what I mean... it's kind of hard to miss! ;) )

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny thing...today in fact, a man walked up to me and said, "What is that?" and I thought he was talking about the bag dispenser attached to the end of Snoopy's leash so I pointed to it and said, "This?" and he said, "No, THAT" and he point to Snoopy.

I said, "a dog??" a little thrown off by his question.

He said, "Really??"

and before I could ask him what he really thought my precious Snoopy could be besides a bassett hound he walked away.

·
Registered
284 Posts
most people, escpecially kids, think Snoppy is a Sausagedog. :rolleyes: There's litterally NO bassets in this area what-so-ever.

Our hairdressers boyfriend think's she looks like a string of spaghetti - cos she's long and thin! - he's a bit mad!

We also get a lot of 'oh isnt he lovely' and we say 'yes SHE is isnt SHE'!! That one REALLY windes my boyfriend up :angry:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I think I need to get a pink collar next because everyone automatically thinks Maggie is a he (how dare they - she is so feminine!)

Missjoy

·
Registered
284 Posts
(how dare they - she is so feminine!)

Missjoy[/b]
Our thoughts exactly! Snoops has a brown suede colour as it goes with her skin tone (haha) but pink would make our walks alot more easier and enjoyable :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I was buying her winter coat I got a little blue one, they had it in powder pink - but I thought my husband might never take her for a walk!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Once, while walking Moe (adult male Basset) and Tally (adult female Dachshund tweenie- larger than a mini but smaller than a standard) I overheard a woman say to her child "Look at the mommy dog and her little baby dog!"... :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I couldn't figure that one out. <_< They're two TOTALLY different breeds and Moe is so obviously NOT a HER! :eek: (Those of you with males know what I mean... it's kind of hard to miss! ;) )[/b]
I had the exact same thing happen with my male, Spot, and a friend's mini dachshund. :blink: Spot wasn't even neutered, so no excuse.....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I haven't had any funny ones, just the traditional thought that they are bloodhounds or "weiner" dogs.

~Heather

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My previous basset, a small bitch, were often mistaken for a male too.

I've also discovered that what kind of reaction I get is often gender-related.
Women usually say something like "Ooow, he's so cuuute. Look at that sad
face and long ears." and tries to cuddle him.
Men on the other hand say something like this: "Hm, it's the ones just for
roe deer tracking, isn't it? Look at those muscles; he sure is strong.", nod
approvingly and then walk away.

In Norway bassets are mainly used for tracking injured game, mainly roe deers.
Although most basset hounds owners just keeps them as company.

·
Registered
662 Posts
*nods* Mocha and Beldin generally get a "Hey Boys!" (poor Mocha) ... or most commonly "Look at the weener dogs!" (grr)

·
Registered
52 Posts
"Sausage Dog" and "Beagle" are the most common mistaken identities for Jake and Harvey! People who recognise the breed invariably say "Ooh a Basset...you don't see many of THOSE about, do you?"!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The kids around our neighbourhood always call Jasmine a sausage dog and I try to explain the difference between a Dachsund and a Basset. And I'm always asked about "him", even though she wears a pink collar. We've also had a few comments about what an "odd" pairing she and her little Labrador sister are. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had some very strange ones as Australia has very few Bassets. I often get is that a Beagle? Maybe its a Dashshund, ha ha look at the sausagedog. But one day at the local market an elderly lady said to me " that is a very pretty CORGIE you have their" What the? I know she is long and short but nothing like a Corgie. I also get a lot of people asking if "HIS" name is Fred like the cartoon, and then asking what breed HE is. So I have to say "SHE" is a Basset Hound, So I am guessing the you don't know that Fred Basset is a Basset Hound (some people are very strange here).

Kat& Dee

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts