Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think Miss Louise is just cold here are the details... She only shakes at night and it JUST STARTED as the cold boston weather has come... I keep my house chilly as my husband and I hate the heat... It happens only at night if we are watching tv or getting ready for bed once she is asleep it stop's of course she sleeps in bed with us under the covers of course... SO do you think she is just cold? So it happens at the coldest time's and when she is sleeping... I got her a dog snuggy (lol pathetic i know) and I will see how that works as well! Thanks for your feedback:cool:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Unless you live in an igloo, I can't imagine that it's cold enough in your house to make your dog shake. Shaking is usually a sign of pain. Do you feed her twice a day or only at night?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She gets her bowl filled at all times of the day... She eats about 2 bowls a day.... She has been to the vets and checked out fine... Like I said it is at the COLDEST time of day (at night) and it is about 50 degrees in our room and I have read bassets so get cold easy... I am going to try the snuggie unless you all have another idea?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe you should get a cosy fleecy doggy coat for Miss Louise and see if she still shakes whilst wearing it! That's what I would do if I lived in a cold house and my dog was shaking (assuming she is well) I suspect that she feels the cold much more through sleeping beneath your duvet than if she slept in her own bed.

Get her a nice coat or maybe you could knit her one and show us a picture!!!

How about a nice striped fleece? Dog Clothing U.K, Dog Coats & Dog Accessories & Dog Toys

http://www.truefitdogcoats.com/images/D/08basset2.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I bought her one today :) as I can not knit! Altho I did make her halloween costume!!! She is an Hedwig the white owl from Harry Potter! lol anyway I got her a fleece dog snuggie!!! so it has arms and everything! So lets see if it works :)

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Shivering is a natural dog body reaction and is not uncommon even in non-frigid condition So it not likely an indication of a problem. This is especial true awhen the dog is sleeping and the metabolic rate is less as well. However ignore potential symptoms of a medical condition can have consequences. One common reasion a female dog is less cold tolerant than other dog is Hypothyrodism. It is worth checking out because there are a host of other potential sideeffects as well. This tend to be a gradual progression so often the symptoms go unnotice until they get extreme because it just seem that the way the dog is.

Hypothyroidism in Dogs
A deficiency of thyroid hormone affects the metabolic function of many organ systems. As a result, the clinical signs are usually variable, non-specific, and slow to develop. Although there is no one symptom that is diagnostic, several combined signs may make your veterinarian more suspicious. Symptoms may include:

Lethargy, lack of interest in play, increased amounts of sleeping
Depression, mental dullness
Exercise intolerance (tires easily)
Weight gain (without an apparent increase in appetite) and obesity
Cold intolerance – seeks out warm places to lie down, low body temperature
Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
Infertility
Constipation
Diarrhea
Chronic skin disorders, such as dry skin, thinning of the hair coat, excessive hair loss
Possibly other neurologic signs
Possibly other hormonal abnormalities

·
Registered
973 Posts
My mutt has hypothyroidism. It is very easy to treat. He takes a half of a very small pill twice a day. They are very inexpensive. It is probably only about $7 we spend on his medication every month. He does have to have additional blood tests at the vet to check his thyroid levels. So if that is what it ends up being, don't let it worry you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts