Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think Basset Hounds can't climb? Think again. We were at a show this weekend and Minnie climbed out of a three foot high x-pen.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
She's a very clever girl!
Miriam, I would love to see more pictures of the dogs you own. Any chance you could post some for us?

·
Registered
608 Posts
How clever and determined is that!!!!!! Loved the pics. Agree with yogi, would nlove to see more pics of your beautiful bassets.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Haha the pictures are great! I've watched a medium sized mutt climb a 6 foot chain link before. It's really quite remarkable to watch. Heck I don't think I could even do that...

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It did take her a few tries to get over, and once she was up there she stayed a bit before going the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
impressive! :D:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOL, never saw a hound climb a fence! That's one determined hound dog! Thanks for sharing Mikey T.

My favorite picture Miriam ever posted was of one of her hounds standing on top of the kitchen stove.

What deeply embedded instinct promotes climbing in a short legged hound dog? Has it something to do with living with the monks of St. Hubert?

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOL, never saw a hound climb a fence! That's one determined hound dog! Thanks for sharing Mikey T.

My favorite picture Miriam ever posted was of one of her hounds standing on top of the kitchen stove.
Dah, didn't read the original post correctly because it was posted by Miriam not Mikey T!

Miriam, is Minnie the one on your stove top picture? Your hounds are multi-talented!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, that's Melody on the stove.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The first dog that my family every got used to get out too. Luckily the neighbors knew who she belonged to and so they'd bring her back home. Either that or she'd just chill out in our next door neighbor's yard with her dog and Mom and Dad would put her back in our yard when they got home from work. We couldn't figure out how she was doing it so we watched her one time. She was using the links in the fence to climb over! It was so funny to watch! We had to be careful after that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When we were getting the moving truck packed last fall Rosco kept getting out of the yard somehow. I couldn't figure it out because the gate was closed, and I was busy schlepping box after box into the back of the moving truck. I would turn around and there he was in the truck behind me, tail wagging. Layla disappeared on us a couple of times, she was wandering around the neighborhood checking things out.

Several rounds of chasing dogs down and dragging them back into the yard later, I began to think I was losing my mind due to roughly 48 hours of nonstop packing and cleaning. I finally discovered that I had broken a small piece of the gate latch that made it look like it was secure, but with the slightest push would open again.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Do you have a bigger pic of the tunneling? :)
He did his best work under the house, and I wasn't about to crawl under there. If I remember correctly, I was too mad to take more than the one picture. He always blamed gophers for starting it, but he had all the gophers run off in a week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts