Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter went out an left a good-size milk chocolate candy bar on her bed - it was about king-size but not sure how many ounces). When my daughter came home she found the wrapper chewed up on the floor and tell-tale chocolate smears on her new comforter. The only four-legger allowed in her room is Tally (who weighs twenty-five pounds). This was yesterday afternoon. Tally has shown no ill effects so far, and is acting perfectly normal. Should we continue to be concerned, or is she home free? It's been about eighteen hours. I've heard that milk chocolate may be less toxic than dark chocolate, and she has eated milk chocolate before (never given - always stolen) and was fine but she never ate this much before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
don't fear the dog will be just fine. king size bar is 7oz.( i was at Hershey Park last week and seen a whole bunch of chocolate). Dark from what i've HEARD can do something to them,what i can't remember.with Halloween coming up maybe someone will put up the candy warning thing that i have read on this board before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Once upon a time Charlie got into a bag of kisses ate the wrap and all. Didn't have any problems that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Symptoms of Chocolate Dog Ingestion and Poisoning
You can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's increased absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.[/b]
Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. [/b]

From Why chocolate poisons dogs and how to treat chocolate dog poisoning

I think Tally will be ok. But of course contact your veterinarian if she starts showing any adverse effects.

Cripes that's all you need to worry about her when Moe is going in for surgery tomorrow. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew!!! So far, so good. There's nothing wrong with Tally that seeing Moe again won't fix. B) Evil little weiner-dog!!!!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top