Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there:

I am a newbie here.

My fiance and I plan on getting a Basset puppy for ourselves, but he is going to be a single daddy for about a year since I am overseas right now. We have also picked up the name for our boy already; Paragon would be his name and Perry would be his nickname. We expect to get one in February after he returns from a trip to visit me.

We have been visiting this board for a while now and appreciate all the pics you guys have posted. They surely give us big smiles every day. Please keep them coming.

We have a couple of questions that i think some of you can help:

1. We are interested in knowing about having a microchip put in Perry. How costly would it be? would any vet be able to do this procedure?

2. We have heard of pet health insurance. Do any of you know about this? If so, please share the info with us.

Thank you in advance for your time and responses. all is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't have any answers to give....just wanted t say WELCOME ....my fiance and I are also getting a new bassett. Her name is already picked out as well...Sophia, Sophie for short. Congrats in advance on your baby......and keep surfing the board...there is TONS of info on here. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
hi there

i think it depends on where you live for the prices for the microchips. in the UK i paid about £40 for the chip. and our insurance for £9000 worth of treatment (if they ever need it) in one year is £13 a month for our first year but the renewal letter has come to us today and its £19 for next year! - i will be ringing them today to find out why its gone up so much!!

definately worth getting the insurance though as you never know what might happen.

hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there

i think it depends on where you live for the prices for the microchips. in the UK i paid about £40 for the chip. and our insurance for £9000 worth of treatment (if they ever need it) in one year is £13 a month for our first year but the renewal letter has come to us today and its £19 for next year! - i will be ringing them today to find out why its gone up so much!!

definately worth getting the insurance though as you never know what might happen.

hope this helps
[/b]

Thank you for the welcome message and the info from the UK. :D

We are in Pensacola, Florida.

After I read about the expenses for the vets, I I think the insurance is worth getting, like you said.

I hope it is not too expensive in the US.

Thank you again for the info. :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We paid $18.00 to get Bogie microchipped, and we live in South Dakota. We did not have pet health insurance, but two rock swallowing incidents, one in June and one in Sept. resutled in one $800.00 surgery, and one $600.00 surgery. The difference was the first one the had to enter the intestine. The second one lodged in a crook and they were able to hold the intestine up and chase the rock to his rectum where they retrieved it, therefore less invasive and less expensive. Other areas of the country might have been much more expensive for the surgeries. So insurance might be worth looking into. To late for us now.
Good luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It cost me $35 to get Jackie microchipped and her health insurance is $29 per month with VPI but I have the deluxe cover everything plus extra coverage for cancer insurance. My Mom has the basic plan and she pays about $24 a month for a six year old golden. I would highly advise the pet insurance...it would break my heart if Jackie needed a serious operation or treatment and I didn't have the money for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After havings dogs all my life, I decided to get health insurance for my new baby ,Sherman. I am going to see how it goes for a couple years to see if it is worthwhile. I opted for the AKC policy, they sent me info when I registered him. It costs 48.00 per month, I got the wellness plan which covers anuual exam, annual teeth cleaning, shots, wormings, flea and tick preventative, and heartworm test and heartworm preventative, as well as accidents and illnesses. So far, even though he hasn't been really sick, i think it has paid for itself. (My vet is expensive, but I love him)
The first $120 annually is the deductable, then they pay 80% of the bill. The only irritating thing is you have to have the vet fill out a form, and you know how busy vets are....I now leave a stamped envelope for him to sent it to me after he has filled it out in his own time.
I feel reassured that if he needed an expensive surgery, God forbid, that I wouldn't worry so much about the bil.
Hope this helps.
Sally

PS, I forgt to tell you, the thing I liked about the AKC policy was that the premium doesn't go up as the dog ages, and they are insured for life, if you renew every year. If you get it when they are puppies, then you don't have the pre-existing condition problem.
Sally

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the time and responses. I appreciate them very much. This is very helpful information.

Merry Christmas to you and your kids. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts