Basset Hounds Forum banner

Mental Stimualtion

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vb3 
#1 ·
We have two Bassets they get plenty of exercise at least two walks a day asa minimum of a hour's duration each (basset pace).

I have nevertheless wondered how to stimulate them mentally when they are just at home dozing say, when we are out walking I try to go places where they can have time off the lead and just sniff; just being a Basset.

Any thoughts anyone

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I like this thread because I would love to hear all the ideas. Sometimes, I will drag a hotdog or bratwurst around the yard and hide it. Then Gwen looks for it. She doesn't stop until she finds it and keeps her busy for a good while. I love watching her too! I also hide treats under a small blanket and it takes her awhile to find a way to get to it. Im sure that wont last long though because she is getting better at it. There are some really fun looking Dog puzzles on the market. They are called Nina Ottosson Puzzle toys. Although, They are really expensive. Just try to get creative with things around the house. I was thinking of trying to put a treat inside of an empty pop bottle (cap off) and seeing how long it takes for her to figure out how to get it out.

Kongs with frozen treats work but aren't as "stimulating"

Dog IQ Puzzles Nina Puzzles for Dogs : BestFriends General Store
I like the treats in bottle idea, may be a bit dastardly:p, I will try that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.