Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tonight we get to meet the dogs, see which one seems right for us. I'm very excited and nervous. The lady in charge said to bring GingerSnap (the Dachshund) along, so we can see how the Bassets interact with her and help figure out which is the best fit.

Having never chosen a rescue dog before, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. With both of my current dogs it was a gut reaction that told me I HAD to take these dogs. I'm hoping there will be that same spark of recognition that says, "This is my dog" when I find my Basset.

Any tips?

Elisa

·
Registered
973 Posts
The most important thing to ask yourself is whether or not the dog is a good fit for your family. A dog that isn't suited for your family and your household won't be as happy, and likewise you won't enjoy their company as much. If you are a low energy household you want a low energy dog, likewise with high energy.

In the end though, I think you'll find that the dog will choose you, not the other way around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the first dog we met, "Bo," was the one. He's two years old, so still lots of puppy energy and play-power, which is something my boyfriend was hoping for, a dog he could play with. He's mellow though, and just dozes off if there's nothing to do. I'd say he's kind of medium-energy. We brought him home tonight, and for the first half of the 2 1/2 hour ride home, he and GingerSnap lay along side each other across the seat. Then GingerSnap used Bo as a stepladder so she could get up in the back window of the car and look out.

Sport and Bo get along great so far. Of course, Sport likes everything except retriever puppies.

Cameron (my boyfriend) apparently wants to call him "Beauregard the Beautiful." LOL I'll post pics once I figure out how. For now you can see our boy here: http://wabr.net/rescue/bo/bo.htm Pictures don't do him justice, he's GORGEOUS and has a happy sparkley look to him.

Elisa

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my boyfriend Cameron and our beautiful Beauregard! We decided he's too pretty to be just "Bo," so we changed it to "Beau" and he'll never know the difference. LOL He's a GREAT dog, very loving and huggable and even though he's playful, he calms down right away if you tell him to. He listens pretty well, comes when he's called, sits to get his leash on, heels, and is fast learning not to jump when he's excited. (I don't want him knocking down my little niece when she comes over!) He doesn't eat the other dogs' food and doesn't get upset about his, either. You can tell that the woman running the rescue genuinely loves each and ever dog in her care, and it shows in the dogs.

Thought this one was funny, he has his headlights on!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww Beau looks like he's been with you forever and is going to be one very spoilt boy! His coat is nice and shiny too!

·
Registered
878 Posts
He's very handsome. Congrats on your new puppy!
That video cracked me up. The hound didn't even get up! Lol.
Just shows the nature of Basset Hounds....very soft!
It might have been a different story had the Dachshund been trying to get something from a Bull Terrier type dog!;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh, I wish I'd had a video camera for the game I just witnessed.

I was sitting on my bed, Beau jumped up and started slobbering all over me. (he LOVES to lick! LOL) I started play-squealing and calling for GingerSnap to come help me. She raced over, and started barking her excited "hey let's play!" bark. At first Beau ignored her, as GingerSnap can be a bit of a diva when it comes to her toys, but then he realized she was inviting him to play, and BOOM! I had a Dachsie and a Basset racing all over my house and pouncing on each other, as if they'd been best friends forever.

Part of me gets nervous seeing GingerSnap wrestle with a dog SO much bigger than herself, she weighs 14 pounds to Beau's I'm not sure how much. But, she's tough, and fast, and Beau seems to know not to pounce ON, just AT her. (He's also gentle with Sport the Shepherd, who is disabled and old) I was hoping they'd start being friends soon instead of ignoring each other, looks like it's happening. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Beau is a handsome guy, I love the tri colored bassets best since that's what Cannoli is.

Cannoli's best friend is my mom's Chihuahua mix puppy Charlie. Charlie and Cannoli are quite a pair because of the size difference but she seems to know just the right amount of rough. Charlie is very fluffy and by the time they have been playing for awhile he is covered in drool and his hair is sticking out all over. It cracks us up!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
So nice of you to rescue. Looks like Beau has been with you for ages. Glad they are all getting along. =)

~Heather

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since tomorrow is the official end of our "trial period" I went ahead and took Beau to my vet today for his adoption check. Well, one of them, my clinic has three vets. They made copies of his vaccination records from the rescue, did the standard hands-on exam. Beau made a good impression, being all happy and tail-waggin' when the vet came in. He got a clean bill of health there, no problems with ears, eyes, or legs, and in fact she commented that he has some of the straightest front legs she's seen on a Basset.

Then we went to the feed store to look for a toy, but Beau didn't want a toy and instead we ended up talking to this lady and her two teenage daughters. They have a Basset/Heeler mix, quite a humorous looking dog! Needless to say they were quite taken with Beau.

After that we stopped at my dad's house. Beau got to meet my sister, her Pomeranian, Sylph, my dad, and several of the family cats. Sylph yapped like a maniac and made her own ears ring, Beau ignored her. Phantom, the little Siamese cat, decided he LOVED Beau and was winding around him purring. Poor Beau. I'm not sure he's ever seen a cat up close. He sat there with this hilarious look on his face, like, "A little help here, please?" He loved my dad though. Dad isn't one to say it outright but I think he liked Beau, too. He made a comment when Beau tried to climb into his lap, "Sorry, my lap's not quite big enough, little guy!"

THEN, when we got home, my next door neighbors were outside and so I let them say hello to Beau. He makes everyone who pets him feel like he loves them. I kind of think that with a little training, he'd make a good therapy dog. He has a very soothing presence, and he just radiates love for everyone, and he's far too wonderful a dog to keep hidden away in my house and not share.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It sounds like Beau is going to be a wonderful addition to your family!

I really liked your last sentences; you are going to be a terrific basset mom. :)

He makes everyone who pets him feel like he loves them. I kind of think that with a little training, he'd make a good therapy dog. He has a very soothing presence, and he just radiates love for everyone, and he's far too wonderful a dog to keep hidden away in my house and not share.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have to agree with Boomer's Mom, that should be put in a Basset breed description. They do make everyone feel loved!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I also agree that they make everyone feel loved. I've had many people tell me I should use Anabelle as a therapy dog. Her housetraining issues make me a bit hesitant, though... she's only 80-90% there.

I'm glad you're having such a great time with Beau. He sounds like a great fit and you all should be really happy together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts