Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I am new to Bassets and the forums, I thought I would post a pic of Owen and tell you a bit about how I came to own him.

My husband and I had 2 dogs, but they were "my dogs" because i chose them and their breeds. The first being an American Bulldog named Ike we got from a lovely breeder and the next being Rita, an American Pit Bull Terrier, that we took on when she became ill and my brother could not afford vet care. We also have a cockatiel (another one of my brothers pet own failures), a cat and an Eastern Box Turtle.

My husband starts watching Columbo episodes online and falls in love with the Basset. I said NO! Bassets are "nice" dogs, lazy and sweet. Our bully breeds would walk all over one and I would be bored to tears.

My husband finds a Basset sticker and affixes it to my computer monitor so I am looking at it every day. Then he starts a not so subtle campaign by showing me youtube videos of Bassets almost daily. By the end of a year I was researching the breed and then I met my first Basset in person and started looking for a pup. I'm such a sucker!

Last July we drove out to the middle of nowhere to look at a litter. The dogs were healthy and loving, the pups sweet and adorable. Then the breeder notices one missing and tells me about her terror of a pup who is loud and obnoxious and who is very demanding. Said pup comes rounding the corner at top speed, cross checks his littermates out of the way to get to the food dish and I was in LOVE! Between the kids and other pets, a dog needs to be assertive and demanding to thrive here.

On the drive home we named him Owen and he is just awesome. I couldn't ask for a better dog and even the things he does that make me crazy are ok because he is worth it.

I love this picture. Who needs a blanket when you have 3 dogs?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Bassets are very sneaky in how they steal their way into your heart and life. Owen looks very mischevious and I love a blanket made of dogs! It's the best blanket there is. Congratulations in being loved by a basset.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I like to pretend I own him, but we all know he really owns me. he was supposed to be the husbands dog, but since I do all the mommy stuff and am home all day he has decided that he likes the hubby well enough, but I am his person. Which is fine because Rita was supposed to be my dog and she has decided that she belongs to my husband and he to her. Ike is evenly split :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Owen is a very handsome dog, and he does have an ornery twinkle in his eye!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congratualtions and Welcome Owen.....it is an adorable story and what a priceless picture....

Welcome again to the "Basset Family"

Woody Hayes and his mom

·
Registered
616 Posts
My oh my he is a handsome boy! I think once you're owned by a basset, your life is never the same. That's such a great story.

My basset Rosco came to be when I was only going to "look" at the puppies. As my husband tells it, I called him later that day and he heard Rosco howling and crying all the way home.

I'm a big sucker for animals (which is why we have 3 dogs and 5 cats). My husband has a rule that we don't go to "look" at any animal. In our world looking = coming home with us.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My oh my he is a handsome boy! I think once you're owned by a basset, your life is never the same. That's such a great story.

My basset Rosco came to be when I was only going to "look" at the puppies. As my husband tells it, I called him later that day and he heard Rosco howling and crying all the way home.

I'm a big sucker for animals (which is why we have 3 dogs and 5 cats). My husband has a rule that we don't go to "look" at any animal. In our world looking = coming home with us.
Rosco says: ... and there goes my harem of basset girls. man, life is hard!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Rosco Maggie and Daisy still love u. You too worm!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rosco says: ... and there goes my harem of basset girls. man, life is hard!
I do have to say that there are plenty of handsome basset boys on this board so Rosco has his work cut out for him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts