Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am posting for the first time so please go easy on me. We are the new owners of a basset hound, which we (or my kids) named George. This is our first basset hound and the reason we picked this breed was for their goofy nature, fun personality, and reputation for being a solid family dog. Our previous dog was a Dachshund. Attached are some pictures at 8 weeks and now (12 weeks). Things have been going pretty good but I do need some advice. Can anyone give me some advice regarding:

- Potty training: Any tips outside of the obvious? We have a potty spot in the back yard, use treats, take him out every hour or so, lots of positive feedback. He is crate trained and will hold it all night so that part is good. Now and then he just forgets and will literally pee at your feet after being outside for an hour. He also likes to pee on our rugs now and then.

- Nipping and Biting: This is a problem. When he gets worked up in the least bit he will start "play" biting us (feet, shoes, etc) and will not stop until you literally hold his nose and say no. We have tried the loud "ouch" and other tactics but we are not seeing the progress we would like to see. Also note we have kids (4 and 7) and George really likes to nip at them. They are good about not teasing him, no chasing games, no tug-a-war, trying their best to show George that they are in charge, etc, but George's teeth are really sharp and even a little play bite hurts. George does not chew on anything in the house as we have plenty of toys. It's just the playful biting that we want to stop or reduce.

- Temper: Don't take this the wrong way, but imagine your basset getting worked up like he is excited and wants to play. That is how George reacts when we discipline him. It's almost like he can't mentally handle the punishment and needs to stomp around. For example, after he nips me I will tell him no and sometimes he will just stomp around and bark like he wants to take me on. It's not an aggressive temper because all he does is put his front feet down, stick his butt in the air, and hop around like he wants to play. It's really funny, but I feel like he is not getting my message.

Basset Sprawl: Look at how George spreads his back legs when he is on the floor. Does that look normal? I've seen bassets put their feet behind them, but not spread them.

That's it for now. I've searched this site for tips, but please let me know if you see anything I can do different. :blink:

Thanks,

Todd

Attachments

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dog can be safely spayed/nuetered at 8 weeks or younger but the issue of when or if to do is not so clear cut. While in female IMHO the spaying is overall a health benefit in makes it is not so clear cut and actual the pedullium might swing the other weigh in favor of being intact but health is not the only consider

spaying before sexual maturity the dog will end up slighly taller, approx 1/4" and may retain more puppishy features than would otherwise have occured. However nueter has been effect in reducing dogs to dog aggression, marking behaviors and wandering. If done early it as reduces humping behaviors. There is a large divergence of opinion on whether to and what the best time is to neuter.

<a href="http://www.caninesports.com/EarlySpayConsiderations.pdf" target="_blank">Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
One Veterinarian’s Opinion</a>

<a href="http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/javma.231.11.1665?cookieSet=1" target="_blank">Determining the optimal age
for gonadectomy of dogs and cats</a>

Rebuttal to “Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete” [/b]

You were not kidding that it is not clear cut. Wow. I never had any idea. After reading those links I will probably blame myself if he comes down with anything in the future. So what would you do if your male basset was 4.5 months old?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.