Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Marlene (25) from so. california and we just got Boris 2 days ago. I have 2 children, ds that is 6 yrs. and dd that is 3 yrs. They love Boris so much and he already loves them. oh and forgot to mention he's already 14 weeks old and has some bad habits that I'm hoping I can break. Like going potty on my new Santa rug, LOL! He goes every time on that rug and doesn't want to go outside, N-E way! We love him so much

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Absolutely adorable. Keep the pictures coming.

~Heather

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are in Ontario (inland empire) right by the airport. I love San Diego!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
he's already 14 weeks old and has some bad habits that I'm hoping I can break. Like going potty on my new Santa rug, LOL! He goes every time on that rug and doesn't want to go outside, N-E way! We love him so much
[/b]

Not sure you are looking for advice but as as everyknows I give it anyway B)

Dogs develop a substrate preference ( a feel for whats under there feet) as to where to go. I would advice removing the Santa Rug. Also it is very important to remove all scent from an accident. The scent is an indication to the dog it is ok to go there, second reason for removing santa rug. Normal cleaner are unlikely to remove urine odor. A black light (to help find dried urine and a ezymatic cleaner specifical designed for pet stains) is the only effect way to remove urine odor from capets to rugs.

Housetraining Your Puppy
Dogs develop substrate preferences for eliminating. By substrate, I mean what they feel under their feet. In their first few weeks of life they need their mother to lick them to stimulate elimination. Around 4 weeks of age they begin to control this themselves. It is a self-rewarding behavior because it feels good. They associate this good feeling with the environment they are in at the time. This is about the same time they are walking well enough to go outside. If they are taken outside enough, several times a day, during this period of development (4 through 8 weeks) they will associate the good feeling of relieving themselves with the grass under their feet, the sky above, and all the smells and sounds of the outdoors. The tactile experience, the texture under the feet, becomes the cue.

If your puppy does not already have this outdoor experience, then you can provide it for him now, to retrain the "substrate preference" he has already learned. Take the pup out about once per hour. This is after play, eating, sleeping, etc. If the puppy can't hold his urine from the crate to the back door while walking, carry him for the first week or so. After a busy play session, take the puppy out, even if it's only been 15 minutes since he last went out. Physical activity produces urine. Inactivity slows the production of urine. This is why a puppy can sleep all night without wetting in the crate, but will urinate on the floor as soon as you let him out of the crate. [/b]

·
Registered
225 Posts
He is a lovely little thing. Oh and for the carpet-peeing; it's not a bad habbit, Bori's just hasn't learnt the right habbit yet. :p

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Boris is a beautiful little guy. He doesn't look spoiled at all with that great bed and blankets. Mikey T has given you some great advice. Just remember to give lots of praise when he does potty in the right place, The neighbors will think you are nuts with all the excitement over pottying in the right spot, but given time he will get the idea. Check out the thread "Need Suggestions/ crate training" for some great hints on potty training as well. Good luck with Boris.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts