Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Beau!

He is my newest addition. I am a sucker for senior hounds. Three Christmases ago I adopted a senior gal that I loved and it felt so good to give her a foever home in her last days. She passed after 6 months from liver cancer but peacefully and loved. I have been considering it again as seniors work best with my hounds.
I read about 13 year old Beau on GABR. His owner was put in a nursing home and no longer could care for him (or herself). She refused to go anywhere until she knew Beau would be cared for. He was in bad shape and had to have 17 teeth removed (ulcerated gums)along with some adenomas on his behind removed. He also has very poor vision. His blood work is now all normal and besides for being weak in the behind and slow he is a great hound. After loving care from GABR he was up for adoption. I spoke to them for a couple of days and brought Beau home yesterday. He is a little scared of my hounds because he can't see them well. Sabian and Pearly are good and gentle with him. I think they sense his age (or maybe his frailty). In true basset style when I put a few pillows down to lay next to him, he fell asleep on MY pillows, beats Sabian hands down in the gas department, and snores but not as loud as Pearl. He fits right in! I already love him to death. It feels good to be back to a three hound household! yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I feel a lot better now.
I woke up in a crummy mood for all the usual reasons (winter, school, etc...) and was in my own little funk until I read your post.
You are wonderful and your post really made my day. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
"His owner was put in a nursing home and no longer could care for him (or herself). She refused to go anywhere until she knew Beau would be cared for."
Bless you. There is such a need here. We adopted our doxie from a similar situation, and my pet therapy service group has just started a program in conjunction with our local hospice to foster dogs in these situations and place them. It gives seniors such peace and happiness to know their beloved companion is safe. You are an angel.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I visit the GABR site often, & saw Beau there. Glad he found a good home!

·
Registered
343 Posts
You are wonderful!
Welcome Beau.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Beau is adorable! You're wonderful for wanting to help out these senior hounds!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done! Beau is sure one lucky hound. All of my cats are rescue cats, there is nothing better than being able to offer a home to a needy animal.
Arlene and Opus.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You put the first smile on my face today, and a tear in my eye too!!

Good Luck with Beau. Many happy days ahead!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I too visit GABR often (every day almost), and I'm so happy I'll be able to keep track of Beau here! I also want a senior hound, they are just beautiful! Congratulations on the new addition!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts