Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry I haven't been online to give you all an update on Clementine in over a month. We've had a very stressful month, since we brought Clementine home from the animal hospital. She has been diagnosed with megaesopygus and pneumonia. For the past month, we've tried to give her around the clock care with feedings through a tube in her stomach and IVS with antibiotics three times a day. Unfortunately, we are losing the battle. She still regurgetates/vomits (5X to 15X a day) and has not improved after two surgeries. We are most likely going to have to put her to sleep sometime this week. Its a very difficult decision for us to make because there is still life in her. But the doctors don't think she will ever recover and live normally, and we don't believe this is a quality life. My husband are really struggling with this decision, after we have invested so much of hearts, time, efforts and money into saving her life. But there isn't much left to try. We have spent 20k trying to save her, and we feel very defeated (not to mention hurt finanically). We are going to try to give her a few more days and probably put her to sleep.

This brings me to a question. We've been thinking that it might be helpful for Winston to have closure in some way-when we put her to sleep. Should we consider showing him her body? Is this a good idea or not? Winston is very smart and empathetic, and he can tell that she's sick. I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks for all your support and kind wishes. It meant a lot to me!
Amy

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I feared the worst when you didn't post a follow up. I'm so terribly sorry to hear this.

Regarding your question of closure, and this is just from personal experience:

Our Dachshund Gretel died at our vet clinic after struggling for several days. During that time, her brother Hansel became more and more upset- he stopped eating, kept running to the door looking for her at the slightest noise, and just became generally listless. On the Sunday morning she died (our vet is a sweetheart and let us go and sit with Gretel in the clinic whenever we wanted to as long as someone on staff was there), we decided to take Hansel in for a visit.

I was holding her, attached to an IV, and my husband came in with Hansel.It was a very short visit: they wagged tails, touched noses, and then Paul took Hansel home. Getel died a few hours later while we were with her.

After that visit, Hansel calmed down- it was almost as if seeing her answered a question for him. He did mourn for a while, but we had Murray and so I think that helped. But honestly, both Paul and I have always believed that that last visit helped him somehow.

You will be in my thoughts at this sad time. Peace.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Amy! I'm so sorry that you are losing your precious Celementine. Tears are flowing as I type this because we went through this decision in December 2005 when we had to have our beloved Bubba put to sleep. Bubba was seven years old and he had lymphoma cancer. There was nothing we could do but free him from pain and suffering. We held him as he went to the Rainbow Bridge, and we know he is romping there with all the other wonderful hounds and pets already there.
We know your heartache and pain as you have to make this terrible decision to let her go. You have done all you can for her, and saying good-bye will be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. Just know that you are freeing her from pain and a life without quality. She will always be in your hearts, and you will miss her terribly.
I don't have any answer about Winston. Bubba was our only Basset at the time. I'm sure someone will have an idea about that. I'm sure Bubba and all the wonderful hounds from this forum that are at the Rainbow Bridge will welcome Clementine
with wagging tails and slobbery kisses when the time comes. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers this week as you go through this.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for your kind words. We have tried so hard to save her, but we just can't keep this up. we've basically been giving her round the clock care at home since we've brought her home, and she is still not able to regularly keep food down. We keep thinking that if we could just give it more time something will change. But in the end, we are worried she is starving since she is losing weight and no matter how much we try to feed her she continues to regurgetate. I know you are right its time to let go, its just so hard since she continues to wag her tail and want to chase after squirrels when she has the energy. But we are trying to do what's right--no matter how hard it is.

murraysmom, thanks so much for your advice about the closure for Winston. He is worried about her; he constatntly tries to lick her (they were never very affectionate) and he's been so well behaved. I will definitely give what you said some thought. Any other advice in this area would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A little over a year ago we lost my childhood dog to "old age." My mother, bless her heart, couldn't let go. We kept Lil' Bit alive on IV fluids for months before we finally let him go. That was no way for him to live, but whats done is done.

I have no advice, just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh, my heart is breaking for all of you. But you've made a herculean effort to save Clementine. If only your dedication could be rewarded by having her improve! I'm so sorry for you, and for her. I've heard of people taking an animal in while or immediately after the other is being put to sleep. They say it seems to help. But I've never been in that position. Poor Clementine.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Amy, If if is a possiblity for you, I would recommend sending Clementine to the Bridge from home. When I had to send Sadie to the Bridge, I asked the vet to come to my house, which he did. It cost $50.00 for the house call, but was worth it. Sadie died in her own bed, with my arms wrapped around her. The vet's office was not one of Sadie's favorite places and I didn't especially feel like being there either for this. I did not let Spencer be there when it actually happened, but I let him see her afterwards. Honestly, he ignored her - didn't even sniff her body. I think instinct tells them they are gone. The difficult time for him was in the months afterward, as he adjusted to life without her. As far as that goes, I recommend keeping Winston's routine as normal as possible. Spencer was definitely stressed after Sadie's death, and I think routine helped him through. You are in my thoughts - I know how difficult this is to do. Remember Clementine in the happy days and know there are plenty of Basset angels who will greet her at the Bridge.

Amy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
I know how hard this is we went through this with Anna she was only 3 years old and had a tumor on her liver that couldn't be removed. But they did exploratory surgery to find this out, and she never recovered. When she couldn't stand or lay she was in pain we took her to be pts and we took Charlie with us. I thought he needed to know she wasn't coming home.
It was a terrible mistake for Charlie he was terrified of the vet after that. We had met the vet on a day that the clinc was closed so I had to go back and pay so I took Charlie along and he saw the vet and put his tail between his leg and tried to run. He had always liked the vet she cried and I cried. Poor Charlie never went to the vet again without trembling and whinning. So when we had to have Charlie pts in December Brandy kept looking for him, so I brought his collar out and laid it on the floor Brandy smelled it and that seemed to tell her he was gone.
Every dog is different.
I miss them all. I wanted so much for Charlie to just go to sleep and not wake up so I didn't have to make this desicion again. It is so hard when we love them so much.

sending hugs your way.

Stephanie

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Biscuit died at home with Yogi in the same room, and he recounded very quickly. I was very worried about it because Biscuit and Yogi were *so* closely bonded, but I honestly think Yogi understood in some doggie fashion that Biscuit was very ill and that he could no longer be here to play with Yogi.

You know, doggies are more intelligent than many people give them credit for being, and I think that, just as with smaller children, it might be initially painful for them to see a beloved older relative sick in bed before they pass away, but it also allows them closure, so it goes with doggies perhaps.

Winston no doubt already knows *something's* going on, and that *something* isn't good. If you can't do it at home, then consider taking Winston to the vet with you perhaps, unless you think that might be further trauma. I would definitely explain in doggie terms what's going on. I'm not saying they're little Einsteins, but they do have a bit more understanding than we often give them credit for.

Good luck, seriously. It's a very, very sad thing that you all are going through.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My thoughts and very best wishes are with you tonight. It's so hard, and you've been through so much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am so sorry. It is so hard to let them go. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family including your sweet Clementine and Winston. Please give them extra hugs and snooters fromus. Please take care.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was so dreading this reading this thread. Amy, I can't begin to express the sorrow I feel. I wish I had a magic pill to send you and make everything OK.

All I can do is send you prayers and drool to help you make your decision. Personally I think it is the greatest gift of love to help our dogs to the Bridge when life here is too much for them. And I always hate having to make that decision.

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Listen to your heart and to Clemmie and you will make the right decision.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. :(

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am so sorry for your pain. Our hounds are so much a part of us, it's hard to imagine how life will be without them. You have done so much for your girl. She has known such deep love from you and your Husband. It sounds like you know this is the only right thing to do for her, no matter how much it hurts. I will keep you in my thought and prayers. You never get over losing them, just get use to living without them.

Maggie Mae (ATB) will be gone 2 years in February and I still think of her everyday.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear this. I think we have all been through similar situations and it just breaks your heart. I presently have a 15year old lab, Sarah, who is nearing the end of her life and I am heartsick. Her best friend ROI, a Basset, had to be put down at the age of 11 five years ago. I often wondered if she should have seen his body because they had been together for so long and then once day he was gone. She stopped eating and playing, which prompted us to go to the SPCA and get her a lab mix companion. It took a few days, but she started eating and playing again and now they're best buddies. Then I got Baxter, a Basset puppy and they are all buddies. I did that so that BJ, the second dog, would not go through the same thing when Sarah was gone. I also did that because I absolutely love Bassets and I couldn't stand being without one. Again, please know that I am thinking of you as you make this most difficult decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts