Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female is five and my vet said she is still ok to breed, although it still might not be right timing for me.... I am wondering at what age is to old to breed?

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Theoretically I try is never to old. However as the bitch ages each heat cycle she is not bred increases the risk of pyometra. The likelihood of getting pregnant decrease and the risk of birth defect and sudden infant death increase However with males older males tend to have less mobile sperm and higher defects as well. BUT at the same time older males will tend to produce offspring with better longevity genetics

2 years ago bred a 7 year old female to 6 year old Male and had a litter of 9 all healthy.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My female is five and my vet said she is still ok to breed, although it still might not be right timing for me.... I am wondering at what age is to old to breed?
That would, for me, depend on whether or not the older bitch has had a previous litter and what happened with that litter (carrying the litter/whelping). I'm afraid I'd not have a first-time litter from a bitch of over 4.and of course, whether or not she's in good health (to say nothing of conformation!!). Of course for as long as a bitch is having seasons, she can be bred from but can and should are two different things. And vets don't always know about breeding - some don't even have a dog!!

Can I, with respect, ask why you feel the need to take a litter from your bitch? If you want something 'the same' rather than putting her through pregnancy, whelping and so on, it might be just as good (better) to go back to her breeder for another puppy. Any litter she might have may not produce 'her'. They may take after the sire rather than her.

Even with the best laid plans, things can and do go wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would, for me, depend on whether or not the older bitch has had a previous litter and what happened with that litter (carrying the litter/whelping). I'm afraid I'd not have a first-time litter from a bitch of over 4.and of course, whether or not she's in good health (to say nothing of conformation!!). Of course for as long as a bitch is having seasons, she can be bred from but can and should are two different things. And vets don't always know about breeding - some don't even have a dog!!

Can I, with respect, ask why you feel the need to take a litter from your bitch? If you want something 'the same' rather than putting her through pregnancy, whelping and so on, it might be just as good (better) to go back to her breeder for another puppy. Any litter she might have may not produce 'her'. They may take after the sire rather than her.

Even with the best laid plans, things can and do go wrong.
Many years ago (at this point) I had Chihuahuas and I bred them 2 or 3 times. It was so much fun and brought so much joy that from the time I got Rosie, I was planning to let her have 1 litter. Unfortunately, as you mentioned "best laid plans" , I began and am still dealing with (which is why I said the timing isn't right for me) physical problems and then 15 months ago my husband of 28 yrs passed away! So timing has been horrific, to say the least. I could use a little joy and fun in my life, so the thought of breeding still appeals to me. She is totally healthy and I do have a stud in mind.... I am just hoping her window is not closing. I don't want to jeopardize her health in any way; she is precious to me and such a good girl. She would make such a good mommy!

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Having a litter at any age is an increase risk. If you are totally risk adverse then do not breed. There is less risk and lower potential for abnormal deliver. With an older bitch you need to be prepared for the possibility if a c- section in creases because of a small litter ie singleton or something.

FWIW AKC. will not register a litter for a bitch over 12 years of age. Considering some of the longer lived breed to me this translates to about 8 or 9 in a basset hound.

So the window is still open but at the same time it certainly carries increase risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts