Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leigh's Laughs has a great set of links for MCT.

Since, loosing Zephyr to MCT that appeared at a sight she had a lump removed earlier but never biopsied I'm a bit sensitive on the subject.

from Mast Cell Tumors in Dogs and Cats "Very few tumors present in such a wide variety of clinical signs: they are indeed the great impostors! They can look like anything and behave differently depending on the histologic type, location and the extent of the disease" they often mimic less harmfull tumors like Sebacious cysts and lipomas therefore it is imperative to preform a fine needle aspiration cytology on all lumps and bump however innocuous they may seem.

A

·
0 Posts
Please, I know I'm excessively concerned after Zephyr, take the time and expense of having EVERY lump aspirated and biopsied.
pat

·
Registered
205 Posts
The vet found a squamous cell cancer tumor under our last Basset, Jerry's, tongue during a routine cleaning (his 1st, I believe). It was small, so they removed it and scraped it again a couple of weeks later. Originally, the vet gave him 3 weeks to 3 months to live. It's pretty crushing to hear that your buddy might only be around for 3 more weeks when he seems just fine. Luckily, they were wrong and Jerry lived for another 18 months, leaving us at 12 and a half years of age. The cancer did eventually spread to his lungs and brain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts