Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clovis, my 5 yo neutered male Basset Hound began marking inside by urinating on things with new smells. This started after he attended a doggie daycare where he could pee on cement floors anytime he wanted to. However, when he came home he couldn't/wouldn't differentiate between my house and daycare. He hasn't gone to daycare for about 6 months, but he continues to mark inside if I leave a box or bag on the ground that has a new smell. Therefore, I've begun putting him in a crate when I have to leave, and keeping an eye on him when I'm home. He has a doggie door and frequent access to the outside, and he sleeps with me all night without moving so I know this isn't a physical problem. I've searched everywhere for a way to break this marking but have come up with few ideas. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You suggest this isn't a physical problem, but with respect, I think you probably do need to make sure about that. He may be able to sleep through without the need to urinate - simply because he's sleeping. Collect some of his urine and get your vet to run a urinalysis - he may have picked up more than a bad habit from daycare... UTIs are fairly common in dogs, especially low to ground dogs (LOL). There's no point trying to correct what he can't help doing although it should be noted that with a UTI he will lift, urinate and then try to go again, only producing a dribble. On the other hand, perhaps he has bladder stones?

Otherwise, it's what you are doing - don't leave stuff (new things) on the ground. If he's picked up bad behaviour at caycare, it's a question, obviously, of breaking a habit. So back to puppy training one! Don't wait for him to ask (or use the doggie door) - YOU dictate how often he's taken out, watching exactly what he does when out to help you know when he really needs to empty.

Good job he doesn't need daycare any longer if he's picked up a bad habit there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You suggest this isn't a physical problem, but with respect, I think you probably do need to make sure about that. He may be able to sleep through without the need to urinate - simply because he's sleeping. Collect some of his urine and get your vet to run a urinalysis - he may have picked up more than a bad habit from daycare... UTIs are fairly common in dogs, especially low to ground dogs (LOL). There's no point trying to correct what he can't help doing although it should be noted that with a UTI he will lift, urinate and then try to go again, only producing a dribble. On the other hand, perhaps he has bladder stones?

Otherwise, it's what you are doing - don't leave stuff (new things) on the ground. If he's picked up bad behaviour at caycare, it's a question, obviously, of breaking a habit. So back to puppy training one! Don't wait for him to ask (or use the doggie door) - YOU dictate how often he's taken out, watching exactly what he does when out to help you know when he really needs to empty.

Good job he doesn't need daycare any longer if he's picked up a bad habit there.
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I’ll get his itinerary checked for sure. I also read that another way to stop the marking is to buy a bandana and put some of Clovis’ urine on it. Then let it dry. Put the bandana on him so that all he smells is himself. Sounded good to me so I’ll give it a try. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts