Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m quite literally sobbing as I write this. Tears running down my face. Basset hounds are the only dogs I’ve ever owned. But I’ve only ever had one at a time. Each one was amazing and pretty much the same as the last in behavior and training and behavior. I’ve only ever adopted senior and adult bassets that have all passed from old age that were 8yrs, 10 yrs and 12yrs w/ special needs (3 in total in the past 20 years) . Well it’s been about a year since my beautiful boy passed away and yesterday I decided to finally open my heart up to a new special needs rescue. However she’s only 3 years old she’s the youngest I’ve ever owned so she’ll probably be with me for the next 10ish so years depending how her heart murmur progresses. She is beautiful, sweet and amazing but she NEVER stops whining unless she gets to go outside. But she CANT be outside for more than 10-20 minutes at a time because of her heart murmur. Today She cried for 5-6 hours straight while wagging her tail at the door and staring at me. Every 30 minutes today I took her out for WAY WAY too long of walks just to please her but nothing is working. I tried treats, affection, cuddles, puzzles, kongs, extra food, checked her water, laid on the floor with her. I have given her attention for quite literally morning to night since yesterday non stop I even took her to a $500 vet visit today just to be told she was fine and her heart is doing okay and to reduce her walks again and that she’s just crying to get what she wants. I broke down crying begging her to stop crying (I’ve never had a dog whine for almost 6 straight hours please don’t get mad at me) . I convinced her to go in her kennel to take a nap and it’s the only peace I’ve gotten since yesterday morning. Even then it took her 40 minutes to fall asleep even with her kennel covered. Returning her is NOT an option or rehoming her I can not do that at all. Now I’m sitting her feeling like the biggest jerk in the whole world I feel selfish I feel angry I feel frustrated I feel like I’m letting this basset down. She’s fixed btw so I know she’s not looking for a boyfriend lol. I even offered her every piece of human food in the house just to please her and she just wagged her tail whined and waited by her leash. I have NEVER had a basset hound turn down food! When I take her outside she just walks super duper slow checking everything out. I even let her have an hour walk! An hour!! That’s AWFUL for a dog with a heart murmur. Brought her in and repeated every single offering but nope as soon as she’s inside it’s back to crying. I even tried a spray bottle to get her to stop and she just barked and wagged her tail it didn’t phase her. I know it’s only day two but she’s already got it down that all she has to do is cry long enough until I break. Vet was very upset that I even walked her for more than 10 minutes and more than 5 ish times which I 100% understand bc it puts her at risk but guys please what else do I do?! I feel like I’m failing her . I feel like she’s trying to manipulate me into staying outside but I’m a high risk pregnancy with low exercise pelvic rest so walking so many times back to back is really starting to hurt me. At the rescue they told me her personality was the complete opposite of what it is. Please help me I want to make her happy I want to bond with her I want her to be happy with me but I’m in so much pain I’ve basically been exercising for 6 hours and it’s hurting me and she’s not phased at all she’s just so happy to be outside. I don’t have a fenced yard I have an open acre of land leaving her on a chain or outside is not an option at all her medical papers and my vet said she has to be strictly indoor. Is this puppy blues? Will this get better? Am I bad owner? Please don’t be angry or laugh at me. I had a 2 hr consultation about her adoption before taking her home and didn’t expect even the slightest that constant whining would make me break down crying from annoyance. She acts so happy when she sees me upset and finally getting the leash for more walkies. I haven’t walked her since we got home from the vet .

·
Registered
Walter
1 Posts
I’m quite literally sobbing as I write this. Tears running down my face. Basset hounds are the only dogs I’ve ever owned. But I’ve only ever had one at a time. Each one was amazing and pretty much the same as the last in behavior and training and behavior. I’ve only ever adopted senior and adult bassets that have all passed from old age that were 8yrs, 10 yrs and 12yrs w/ special needs (3 in total in the past 20 years) . Well it’s been about a year since my beautiful boy passed away and yesterday I decided to finally open my heart up to a new special needs rescue. However she’s only 3 years old she’s the youngest I’ve ever owned so she’ll probably be with me for the next 10ish so years depending how her heart murmur progresses. She is beautiful, sweet and amazing but she NEVER stops whining unless she gets to go outside. But she CANT be outside for more than 10-20 minutes at a time because of her heart murmur. Today She cried for 5-6 hours straight while wagging her tail at the door and staring at me. Every 30 minutes today I took her out for WAY WAY too long of walks just to please her but nothing is working. I tried treats, affection, cuddles, puzzles, kongs, extra food, checked her water, laid on the floor with her. I have given her attention for quite literally morning to night since yesterday non stop I even took her to a $500 vet visit today just to be told she was fine and her heart is doing okay and to reduce her walks again and that she’s just crying to get what she wants. I broke down crying begging her to stop crying (I’ve never had a dog whine for almost 6 straight hours please don’t get mad at me) . I convinced her to go in her kennel to take a nap and it’s the only peace I’ve gotten since yesterday morning. Even then it took her 40 minutes to fall asleep even with her kennel covered. Returning her is NOT an option or rehoming her I can not do that at all. Now I’m sitting her feeling like the biggest jerk in the whole world I feel selfish I feel angry I feel frustrated I feel like I’m letting this basset down. She’s fixed btw so I know she’s not looking for a boyfriend lol. I even offered her every piece of human food in the house just to please her and she just wagged her tail whined and waited by her leash. I have NEVER had a basset hound turn down food! When I take her outside she just walks super duper slow checking everything out. I even let her have an hour walk! An hour!! That’s AWFUL for a dog with a heart murmur. Brought her in and repeated every single offering but nope as soon as she’s inside it’s back to crying. I even tried a spray bottle to get her to stop and she just barked and wagged her tail it didn’t phase her. I know it’s only day two but she’s already got it down that all she has to do is cry long enough until I break. Vet was very upset that I even walked her for more than 10 minutes and more than 5 ish times which I 100% understand bc it puts her at risk but guys please what else do I do?! I feel like I’m failing her . I feel like she’s trying to manipulate me into staying outside but I’m a high risk pregnancy with low exercise pelvic rest so walking so many times back to back is really starting to hurt me. At the rescue they told me her personality was the complete opposite of what it is. Please help me I want to make her happy I want to bond with her I want her to be happy with me but I’m in so much pain I’ve basically been exercising for 6 hours and it’s hurting me and she’s not phased at all she’s just so happy to be outside. I don’t have a fenced yard I have an open acre of land leaving her on a chain or outside is not an option at all her medical papers and my vet said she has to be strictly indoor. Is this puppy blues? Will this get better? Am I bad owner? Please don’t be angry or laugh at me. I had a 2 hr consultation about her adoption before taking her home and didn’t expect even the slightest that constant whining would make me break down crying from annoyance. She acts so happy when she sees me upset and finally getting the leash for more walkies. I haven’t walked her since we got home from the vet .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts