Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Otto has been on Keppra XR 1000mg twice per day since October 31st, when he had a severe cluster seizure only a few weeks after his previous seizure.
He's been doing great, no side effects, and we were hoping he would be one of the 15% of dogs on Keppra who never have another seizure.
This was not to be, he had a 4 minute seizure Monday at 1am- not a cluster this time, and it's been almost 10 weeks since his Oct. seizure, so those are good things.
If he stays at this interval we will most likely not add Zonesamide, the vet thinks adding that would only tweak the interval by a week or two to maybe 12 weeks between episodes.

I am 69 now, and these 1am runs down the stairs to get to him, then staying up with him until he settles down from his post ichtal anxiety/pacing/crying are probably harder on me than the seizures are on him!

We're lucky to have a vet who gave us his cell phone number and told us to call him any time of the day or night if Otto would go into status and not respond to the rectal valium we have on hand.

Otto is a happy sweet boy and I feel sad that he's saddled with this condition; but such is life.

Will post again if things change.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
the one I had post ichtal stage was 24 hours. Seizure were most often on Thursday nights why? and usual started in sleep. Never got any sort of control. longest time between seizures was 66 day and the was between first and second seizure after that more like every 2-3 weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts