Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hazley (1.5 yo) has a mammary cyst ~1" x 1.5". We tried a round of antibiotics (Clavimax) to see if that would reduce the size. During the initial exam, the vet was able to express some clear, blood tinged fluid for testing. Results of that showed that there was no cancer cells in the fluid, and it appeared to be a cyst.

I need some advice as to whether I should have it removed (partial mastectomy) or let it be. I know since she was spayed after her 2nd heat cycle (she was precocious, first heat was at 5 months, second at 9 months) she is at greater risk of mammary cancer. Either way, due to the cost of the surgery ($1000) and since it's not urgent, we plan on waiting until October for surgery.

Barb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Our adoptee Macy (mother of the litter we fostered for LVBR last summer) had large, lumpy mammary glands with many cysts, after nursing this litter. Over the course of time (during the past year), these have diminished significantly in size, and they continue to shrink.

If your vet thinks it's safe to wait, then it likely won't be a problem, and maybe the cyst will resolve on its own. :) Just keep a close eye on it, to make sure it's not increasing in size, or changing in quality, and that she's not developing more lesions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
My Bette had a cyst in on of her mammary glands about a year ago. It developed after she had a false pregnancy and had a little bit of mastititis. I was worried because a clear bloody fluid would come out of her nipple. I took her to the vet and he said that it may or may not go away in time and if it didn't go away and caused her discomfort that I could have it removed. It has been a year now and the cyst is completely gone as far as I can tell and no discharge. I sort of forgot about it after a while and I think it was gone within months of the vet visit. Hopefully this works out for you and you don't have to get surgery. I would just wait and see.

CTG
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top