Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion about traits of male Bassets vs females. I think that males are more active and better hunters. Any female stories?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have two males and one female.
They are all active and none of them hunt but I do find the males are more stubborn than the bitch.:eek:

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I think that males are more active and better hunters. Any female stories?
Don't find that at all and the result from the HOY, HOY runoff, and World Hunt results AHBA don't skew much either way as well. I find males to be more indifferent but mellower. Females tend to be more higher strung and bitchier. But that attitude is often easier to work with in training than mellow indifference,

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I really think it depends on the dog & not so much the sex. I have a male -Spencer (age 13) & I had a female - Sadie (went to the Bridge 4 yrs ago at age 11). Words that come to mind when thinking of Sadie: calm, indifferent, intelligent (knew several tricks). Spencer: loving, goofy, not so intelligent (I've never been successful in teaching him any tricks), nervous, hyper, hyper, hyper (even still, at almost 14 yrs old). Sadie lowered my blood pressure while Spencer raises it ;) Sadie encouraged me to sit & "smell the roses" while Spencer makes sure I get exercised daily. I love them both for what they are (& were, in Sadie's case). :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I really think it depends on the dog & not so much the sex.
the difference between individuals tend to overwhelm the slight difference between the sexes when comparing only a realitively few

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had males & females and must admit I prefer females overall. Some say males are more loving. From my experience, my males have been more "needy" not necessarily more loveable. My females have been more independent, which I prefer. Also both my females have been the leaders. With R & S, Stickers clearly is in charge and Rusty needs that. Neither one of my male dogs wanted the leadership role and were happy to let the females lead. Even when we invite "visitors" (the breeders dogs) to stay, I still enjoy the females over the males. Just my experience.:D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl Lily drives me bonkers alwasy whining and needing something from me, whereas, Gibbs is very mellow.

~Heather

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a female for 17 1/2 years, while I never took her hunting..she was always on the hunt in my backyard! We back up to woods and would have rabbits, groundhogs, squirels and birds come into our yard. She loved going after them with a fever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts