Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the stage where I'm looking for another basset to keep Barney company. He is now 7 months and will be neutered next month. While I realize that there is no guarantee, I keep looking at your pictures of your dogs sleeping and playing together and am hoping that I could have the same result. I was pretty much convinced that a female would have a better chance of obtaining this pipedream of mine, but now I'm doubting myself. All those dogs of yours that are cuddling together, are they males, females, or mixed? :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
All those dogs of yours that are cuddling together, are they males, females, or mixed? :confused:
Larsen is a boy, and Ninja is a girl. They are excellent company for each other and get along very well. They like to play with each other, and really have never had a true fight. Even though I have a few pictures of their synchronized napping on the couch, to be honest, they are not cuddly with each other like many other bassets seem to be. It's a rare occasion when they do share a couch or bed, which is why I always try to snap a picture. LOL They both kind of like their space--Ninja even more so than Larsen. They are really good buddies, just not of the cuddling kind.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My two are a boy and a girl as well. They, unlike Larsen and Ninja, snuggle constantly. Virga usually initiates it. She usually has to be touching Doppler in some way. But they get along great! Virga loves her big brother.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Harley does not interact with Anabelle at all. But the last male dog that he lived with he bit a chunk out of his ear. So in comparison, the male/female combo has worked better.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine are, obviously, male and female. They aren't much for cuddling together, but it's been pretty warm since Winston has come to live here. Maybe once they experience winter together in my old drafty house.

Truth is, my two are very much like "grrrrr don't touch me when I am sleeping!"...toward me and each other. Not sure if they'll be into cuddling with each other. Now, wrestling and playing tug with a toy...you can't beat having a puppy sibling when it comes to that!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on the dogs' individual temperaments. If you're looking at adopting a second dog, really try to get a good feel for how that dog interacts with other dogs. I got Lightning when he was a puppy and Stomps when he was an adult (when Lightning was about 18 months old). Lightning is very friendly to other dogs. I was told that Stomps did great at his foster's, who had a lot of dogs. But I learned later on that he really would have been much happier as an only dog. He and Lightning took comfort in having the other around, but they weren't BFFs, and occasionally they would get into horrific fights. I loved Stomps (he's since passed away), but in hindsight, I would have asked a lot more questions before I agreed to take him. And there's nothing to compare to getting the two together in a neutral area and see how they do with each other.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Maggie and Daisy are both Basset girls. Yogi is a puggle boy. They all get along well but Daisy and Yogi play together the most. Maggie just turned 3, Yogi will be 3 in May and Daisy will be 2 in January so all about the same age. Not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have two males and one female.
The younger male and the female are very good friends,but all three get on well together:)

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
{quote]I keep looking at your pictures of your dogs sleeping and playing together and am hoping that I could have the same result. I was pretty much convinced that a female would have a better chance of obtaining this pipedream of mine, but now I'm doubting myself. All those dogs of yours that are cuddling together, are they males, females, or mixed?[/quote]

I can see the imprtance of playing together but cuddling I together I don't how that effects the quality of life of the dogs. Again as mention it is individual preference of the individual dog than of any sex gender relationship. I think Cuddlers tend to be heat seeker when they sleep. My one cuddler sleeps under the cover even in the summer So I would not read to much into it being a sign of love etc.

Also cuddling can be a pushy behavior as well. I no mine will use it as a tactic. ie squishing to gain a spot she want in forcing the others to more so it is not an altrueistic behavior all the time either.

·
Registered
972 Posts
they will do what they wanna do! It took about a week for daisy to tolerate bowser, and another week for her to allow him to stay in the same bed as her. i didn't force them, but he loved to snuggle up to her. She used to sit up and then get this crazed "help me!" look and run away as fast as possible, with bowser being oblivious. Now they cuddle and daisy lays her head on his back : )

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think Cuddlers tend to be heat seeker when they sleep. My one cuddler sleeps under the cover even in the summer So I would not read to much into it being a sign of love etc.

Also cuddling can be a pushy behavior as well. I no mine will use it as a tactic. ie squishing to gain a spot she want in forcing the others to more so it is not an altrueistic behavior all the time either.
oh Mikey, so terribly unromantic.
--Worm:wub:

·
Registered
22 Posts
my lab is a female, and Fred and Ginger get along great. Sometimes they sleep right next to each other on the floor, or on the couch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts