Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

we tried to rescue a lovely male bassset a while ago ~ but it didn't work out as he had huge issues with males ~ he was terrified of my husband and my 2 year old son, so sadly It didn't work out :(

We now feel ready and really excited to welcome a puppy into our home!!! We would love some advice on which sex you think would suit us best. We have two children ages 9 and almost 3 who are genuinely taught to have respect for dogs and are very gentle. We also have a beautiful 2 year old cocker spaneil bitch who is just lovely and adores all other dogs.

So in a nutshell, is there any general difference between the sexes and which would be the best match for my bitch?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have always been told generally it's better not to have 2 of the same sex if given a choice. I know they are exceptions but that's what I've always had. It's been a good experience for us. Is your female spayed??? That certainly would be a consideration.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
I have always been told generally it's better not to have 2 of the same sex if given a choice. I know they are exceptions but that's what I've always had. It's been a good experience for us. Is your female spayed??? That certainly would be a consideration.[/b]

the tempermant of the individual dog is more important than the sex. You could be ruling out the perfect match for you family by considering only a single sex

Keep in mind there are general diferences between the sexes but the difference between the sexes is less than that of individual even of the same sex so it quite possible to have very feminine males and maculine females. Unlike in otherr doggie social orders, scent hounds tend to be matriarcal and not patriarcal meaning females rule the roost not males. Females tend to be more driven, higher energy levels, smaller in size, dryier mouthed. Males tend to be more laid back and mellow.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have three bassets, a male and two bitches. They all get along, but every now and then Charlie and Eloise have a little set-to. I stay out of it, they've never drawn blood, and I think it's important to let them set their own boundaries. I thought the grumbling would be between the two girls, but Edith always backs down to the other two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2 females and one male and I notice that what Mikey said is true, the females are much more hyper and entergetic, and the Male is more laid back, the male also has issues with strange men, it took awhile for him to warm up to my husband, but all three dogs are wonderful with kids, I have 2 year old twins and they are not very gentle, sometimes they get on the dogs and ride them like "horsies", but they are very tolerant and have never snapped. My male dog Buddy is also a bit more stubborn, it took time to get him to walk on a leash, but perhaps this is because he was'nt taught as a puppy, (I adopted him).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone,

many htnaks for the replies!

Well, we are going to go and see a litter this week ~ we are probably going to choose the most placid male as I think that would probably be the best match for us. Bonnie, our cocker is rather a busy bee and quite excitable so a sobering male might just calm her down!!?!?! My only concern is that they won't get on. Is there any way of testing this?

The litter we are going to see has tri colours and lemon and whites. Is there any difference in temperaments with the coours? Which is the more popular / desirable of the two? I have always loved the lemon and whites, but the tri's are stunning also. How does one choose???

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Hi everyone,

The litter we are going to see has tri colours and lemon and whites. Is there any difference in temperaments with the coours? Which is the more popular / desirable of the two? I have always loved the lemon and whites, but the tri's are stunning also. How does one choose???[/b]

Coat color and temperament are unrelated.

see; Dog to Dog Introductions

How Do You Score as a Puppy Picker?

There are all manners of puppy temperment testing to evaluate how a puppy will turn out. Only there is a giant problem. Sttudies over and over again show they are ineffective. The only truely reliable trait a puppies consistently retain from puppyhood to adults is shyness whis is not a desirable trait. So the best thing is avoid the shy puppies and work really hard at early socialiazation and habituation to end up with a well adjusted puppy and adult dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts