Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone continues to be healthy & happy. Well, the pups are happy - Maisy keep asking me how long this will go on!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't how the dad or daddies were - but deifnitely not basset. 3 look like rotties, 2 look like panda bears and 1 is brown. Also, no long ears. sigh

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have heard that the ears don't start growing till about 5 weeks.But the breeders on here will know better.I feel so sorry for the mother.It's so great of you to take her in.Sometimes I just hate people, they create this problem then won't take care of it.I'm a bad person but bad thoughts going there way.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here's a female Basset aged 3 weeks and she has longish ears. I saw mine at 3 weeks and they were clearly Bassets with good ear length!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well I know that they would have a little longer ears, but this are just a few days old.There ears will get longer but you know there not pure basset, so there ears aren't going to be as long as a basset.I'll bet they get a little longer.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
8 day old Basset Pup - not much in the way of ears yet:

10 days:

12 days:

18 days:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The ears do not really stretch out till they are a few weeks old.You can tell if they are dehydrated by checking to see how thick the ears are or pulling up the skin,after a few weeks the ears are not a good way of telling dehydration any longer. This pup is three weeks old and her ears were starting to get longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Soundtrack's puppy pictures show how to train your basset hound to be a good swimmer. Raise them in a kiddie pool.

By the way that is totally a joke. Don't expect your basset to be a good swimmer or let them near water unattended!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A good thing I do rescue and not breeding! You can see how ignorant I am - I honestly thought the ears would be a lot longer on newborn bassets! Maybe they will resemble mom after all.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The ear set is what will decide if the ears will look shorter than normal. The standard says, in repose, the ears should look like they are coming off the neck. At full length, pulling them forward ,they should wrap around the end of the nose. If you are looking at a puppy or dog head on, whose ears in repose, look like they are equal with the eyes then they have a high ear set.You will not be able to wrap the ears around the end of the nose

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the pups are old enough we will find furever homes for them. Reading this forum and others on the 'net have convinced me that 10-12 weeks is best for them. So, they will be here for several months.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Most of the basset mixes I've known have still had pretty long ears. I think it may be a dominant trait.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes thanks for the pics. I look at those baby Bassets and it makes me want one. I just love those ears also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts