Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am doing something wrong and need advice to fix it!

I have Maisy and her pups in a quiet room in my office. It has a bed for her, bedding for the pups, food, water and enough room that she can walk around a bit. Up until this morning she has been fine with my coming in to change water, bedding, check on the pups etc. This morning she gave me a warning growl and then ran up to the gate barking at me.

I don't want to upset her any more - but I do need to be able to get in there safely.

Any suggestions?????

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Her protective motherly instincts may have just kicked in.Have you gone in and just sat with her and the pups,talking to her,touching the puppies at all before this happened?Was she ok with that? Had she had a litter before that anyone could tell or is this her first?It may be better if she is in a place where she can see what is going on around her.Not too near all the activity in the house but just where she is able connect any activity she does hear.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sat with her and the pups for 8 days with no problems. It started this morning, which is what surprised me. I only met Maisy the day after her pups were born, so I don't know anything about her life prior. She came to me with the pups already born.

But, I'll try opening the door to the main part of the area she's in and see if that helps. At this point it sure won't hurt!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I don't feel really useful either as it isn't an issue I've had to deal with. I do agree that being isolated may be part of the problem, but since we don't know what her life or temperament were like before puppies it's hard to tell. I do still recommend having the vet check for calcium deficiency or other issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts