Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that bassets are predisposed to back and joint problems. Besides restricting certain activities, is there anything that can be done proactively to protect their joints? Does anyone use supplements etc.? Or are these products just a bunch or hog wash?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Besides restricting certain activities,
I think this is a dangerious concept. It is well known that inactive dogs are much more prone to hip dysplaisia, back problems ect than active dogs. rather than restricting an activity it should be prudently managed.

The biggist single contributing factor to joint and back problems is excess nutrition ie overfeed so the dog is overweight. Keeping the dog thin is the single biggest thing you can do to protect joints minimize arthritis/

the second is moderate exercise to build muscle mass an strength. These are lifetime regimines.

The likelihood that supplement are helpful with joints gets smaller with more and more research coming out that they are general ineffective. Yet most that take or give them swear by them. This can simply be attributed to the placebo effect. On a NIH study of gloucossimine for moderate knee joint pain the largest study of the substance done to date 60% of recipents got favorable results sounds good right. Not so fast 60% of the recipents of a suger pill also got favorable results. Whereas 70% of those taking an nsaids had pain reduction. Clear glocosimine was no better than a sugar pill but the majority of those takinging it though it helped. While supplements are unlikely to help they in general do no harm so if you have the disposible income to give them you won't hurt the dog and their is a small chance they may help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having a basset with multiple episodes of "back injury" trying to keep them off furniture is a help I believe, it's the jumping off that gets them hurt according to my vet. I bought LOTS of doggie beds and transitioned my boy to stay on the floor, I think it helps.....never tried the supplements ie glucosamine etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. When I said restricting certain activities I was referring to jumping off of things. I should have been more clear. I totally agree with managing weight and keeping the dog active. We are lucky as Olive appears to be one of the least food driven Bassets I have heard of. In fact most people comment on how skinny she is for a basset. This is usually accompanied by a look of horror and piercing eye's that scream "feed your dog". I used to try to tell them that the Basset they are picturing in their mind is probably severely obese. Now I just save my breath. She is young yet, so I hope we never have to battle the bulge with our dog.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When I said restricting certain activities I was referring to jumping off of things
Again jumping in moderation can be a healthy activity. Much if not all the stress of jumping can be mitigated by teaching proper technique. When you prohibit an activity the muscles asn suporting ligaments and tendons are not as strong so in the rare odd circumstance that the activity does occur the dog is more at risk. It is well know that dogs at the highest risk for these type injuries tend to be coach potatoes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts