Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the May/June issue of Tally-Ho. That is the official publication of the Basset Hound Club Of America. Maggie's brother, Hooper, is on the front cover! Inside is the story of his life. I heard over the years what an incredible hound he was. He had many wins throughout his life. He lived to be 14 years old! That must have been an amazing bloodline! Unfortunately I never got the chance to meet him but did meet his son in a dog show many years ago in Phila.

When I saw the handsome Hooper and read his story my eyes filled with tears. I believe that Hooper was probably waiting to greet Maggie Mae at the rainbow bridge.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any chance Tally-Ho is online and there's a link? I'd love to read about Hooper, Maggie Mae's brother.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Boy that's a real honor to his breeder and Hooper. I didn't get my May/June Tally-Ho yet so rather than keep me in suspense what's his brother's registered name and who is his breeder?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barbara: Hooper is on the Cover. His name is

CH. CHARTON'S FAVORITE BOY, ROM

October 25, 1990 - November 9, 2004

His breeder was Tonta McHale Stoner. It seems like that bloodline lived exceptionally long lives. My Maggie Mae was 15 years old + 3months when she died. I know someone mentioned another brother also lived to the age of 14. When we got Maggie Mae, Tonta owned the parents and Maternal grandmother. I remember looking at the Grannny and thinking " I never saw a Basset that old"!!!!! She was 15 at the time!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know of anyway to read Tally-Ho online??

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yes of course I know him, just didn't know his call name. 1999 was my Toby's last show-he was almost 12 1/2 and I had him entered in the Veteran Class and one of the other two dogs was CH Charton's Favorite Boy, age 9. I remembered he looked great and he won! I wonder if his broher was owned by Cheryl Winters? No relation.

Thanks for the info. Small world isn't it? I'll have to take a look at his pedigree.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes his brother was indeed owned by Cheryl. At age 6, Ed & Mary Smizer became the proud owners of Hooper! The aritcle in Tally-Ho is a tribute to him from them! Small world indeed!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Rats! I haven't gotten my copy yet (Barb, I think we must be the last to get Tally-Ho -- everyone else, even those in Maine, get theirs before me). I'll be looking forward to reading the article -- always educational for someone like me, who's new to the breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts