Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I noticed that when Maddie was lying down, she was having some trembling. Other than that, she is fine and has played, cold nose, etc. She doesn't do this any other time, just when lying down. She doesn't act like it bothers her, but she did wake a few times during the night, and she never does that. We have called the Vet, and was told to watch her, in case it may be an allergic reaction. We are going to go ahead and take her in today for peace of mind, though. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem in their Basset. She has always been a very healthy dog, finnicky eater, but very happy and playful. I am very worried, and I guess I just need a little reassurance from other Basset owners.

Thanks alot,
Regina from NC

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know when my Maggie Mae (ATB) started trembling the Vet said it was due to pain. It was most noticeable when she was also laying down. I put her on Metacam for her arthritis and it helped alot. Please keep us posted after the Vet visit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
When Copper had a bad bout of pano he would also tremble when he was laying down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took Maddie to the Vet, and he is somewhat puzzled. He said the trembling is a symptom, so he took some blood and we should know something tomorrow. He checked her out really well, and found no lumps, etc. She is so very tired from not sleeping well from the trembling, but since we have been back from the Vet, she is finally sleeping even though she is still trembling. He can't really treat her until he knows what he is dealing with. Maddie is my second Basset. She came into my life after we lost our first sweet girl at the age of 16. I am so very worried, and it hurts so much to see her trembling, not being able to do anything but love her. Please keep Maddie in your prayers that it will not be anything serious.
Thanks so much,
Regina from NC

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about Maddie's trembling. :( In my experience trembling has taken place when there was fever and/or pain. Sometimes the source of pain isn't always obvious. Once Roady was in obvious pain but the on-call vet couldn't figure out where. It took his own vet, who knew him well, to find that he had a neck injury.

Keep us posted on Maddie. Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
284 Posts
hi there,

as you still dont know the cause i thought i'd share my experience.

When we brought snoopy home for the first time she trembled for days until she was settled - only noticeable when going to sleep.

When ever we have been away on holiday and come back she trembles when going off to sleep and on the days she goes in the car (she hates it) she trembles too when going off to sleep.

my theory is that she's been scared, traumatised or unsettled about something? This also happeneds after she's been to the vets and for a few days after being spayed in December.

has Maddie been going somewhere different recently or is someone new around the house?

Hope you find the cause soon.

Clare

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our Daisy has spondylosis, a painful spinal condition. When it flares up, she trembles and walks with her head down. She had an episode last week, but didn't respond to the usual treatment. Later in the week she began to urinate frequently - it turned out the source of the pain was a urinary tract infection. I guess the point is that trembling can be a sign of pain, but it can be difficult to find the source. Good luck with your baby.........

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sure hope the vet finds Maddie's problem soon. I agree with everyone on the the idea that her trembling is being caused by pain. When Bogie swallowed the rocks and had a bowel obstruction he trembled from the pain. It's so scary when you know that something is hurting them. Do keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts