Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this week that Maddie has been rubbing at her nose with her paws, or into her bed as if something is really irritating her. I checked her, and it looks normal. Last night, she woke up whining and trying to rub her face into the blanket. Today, it has been fine so far. Has anyone ever had a Basset do this, and does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing it? Of course, if it keeps up, I will take her to her vet, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone has been through this with their basset. Thanks for any help with this.

T

·
0 Posts
She might have sniffed something up her nose that she can't get dislodged. If it keeps up, I would get her to the vet. There have been some dogs who have gotten awfully sick from sniffing up seed pods, particularly foxtail grass. Please see the link below ... and note that I'm not saying this is what it is and not trying to panic you, but such little things can sometimes become serious. Please let us know how things are going.

http://cyberhound.heatherweb.com/cgi-bin/u...t=001391#000000

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's strange because DaisyMae is doing this too all of a sudden. I wonder if its allergies? She is still sleeping in her crate at night from surgery and I can not bathe her yet, so she seems to be extra itchy all over, but especially her nose or eye area. She gets up in the morning and rubs her face the entire length of the hallway before I take her out for her morning potty walk. Then she comes in and repeats the rubbing routine on the couches. I am taking her to the dr for her recheck Tuesday. We will see what he has to say. I cleaned her ears and cleaned her face with baby wipes, hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maddie seems to be better today. Thanks for the information on those seed pods.I will have to watch out for those. Maybe she did have something in her nose, or it could be allergies since she had been out quite a bit this week because of the warmer weather. Other than the itching, she is fine and as active as ever. I will keep a watch on her, and if it starts again, we will go to her vet and get her checked out. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
FWIW The occurance of Toughy doing these behavior almost always corresponded to the time I also suffered from sinus headache and such because of weather changes. He never had any other allergy type symptoms so I made the giant conclusion he also suffered from sinus problem when there was fast and sudden changes in barometric pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts