Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told yesterday that my GINNY has very aggressive lymphosarcoma. The biopsy and exploratory surgery just a couple of days ago showed it's throughout her entire liver and most likely in her spleen and intestines and lymph node behind a knee. They don't know where it's origin is and can't find a tumor. They said it's multicentric (whatever that means). My vet and the Univ of TN vet give her 1-2 mo. I've decided to do chemo, with prednisone and contine her tagamet so she will eat & not throw up. The vet said that may buy a few months, depending on alot of factors but it's inevitable. In 4 wks she went from 79 lbs to 65, stopped eating & drinking entirely and went from playful, nothing wrong to weak, anorexic in a months time. Even when she's sick and can only lie near me, she wags her tail without picking her head up just when I only look at her. She's the sweetest, eager to please basset I've known. She was a rescue from yrs of abuse and neglect (she's guessed at around 8 yrs old) and I've enjoyed spoiling her for the 2 yrs since finding her through the basset rescue. (She went from 45 lbs to 80 - I know...bad momma)

I would like to know if anyone out there has dealt specifically with her type of lymphoma (mainly liver) and if there is anything I can holistically do to help her??? (ex. supplements, people food, etc.)

I changed her diet yesterday to Authority Harvest Baked Lamb dry food (it's the only one I could find at the petstore that has no additives and lots of good stuff). Still trying to find a canned food other than Hill's Prescription A/D and N/D to help her digestion but give equal benefits for cancer. I just found out about harmful additives to dog food through word of mouth ex-breeder who lost many dogs to cancer - changed their dog food to something natural and no more losses (very interesting)...see this site:
http://naturalchoicepetfood.com/Little_Kno...nown_Facts.html
Do a search on BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. I was appalled at this information. And these things are AAFCO approved. Not acceptable. Sorry my post is so long but I had to vent. I just hope I'm doing right by my baby - trying to prolong her life, try to make it of quality and happy atleast...maybe I'm just selfish. I have alot of mixed feelings. Advice & info appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Dear Exsqwid: So sorry to hear your bad news. I really don't have any answers or comments, but wanted to let you know that I do feel your pain. Do what you can to keep both your baby and yourself comfortable. I don't think you're being selfish and I think you'll know if you need to do something different for your sweet Ginny.

I think I'm going to take a good look at the website you recommend regarding the food additives. Experience is the best teacher and I think the experience of a good breeder, whether the research backs up that experience or not, is something that shouldn't be disregarded. Thanks for sharing it.

Prayers to you and your girl.

Me 'n Twink.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Lymphosarcoma is one of the nastiest cancers. After exploritory surgery my Bubba Dog was given 2 months at most,I started him on the meds ,no chemo,then the Vet said maybe 4 months. I was lucky enough to have him for 7 full months.(He was 3 years old) When he told me it was time I didn't hesitate. I promised him I would not let him suffer. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Just love your girl as much as you can now.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The dog next to Bubba is Grace. 10 months after Bubba was gone she was diagnosed with Lymphoma.She was 8. She lived two months even being on the meds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember Bubba and Grace both. Very shortly after I joined the online basset community, you were dealing with both of their passings.

I'm so sorry to hear about Ginny's diagnosis. She was very lucky to find you and a place where she could live the rest of her days in peace and love. My heart goes out to you during this very difficult time. Give Ginny gentle pats and rubs for us. You must be a very good mommy to her and all good mommies know when it's getting to be too much for their babies. We pray for strength for you and Ginny both. What wouldn't any of us do to prolong the precious few years we have with these guys?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I forgot to tell you that Bubba's lymphosarcoma was in his intestines and liver. Please let us know how you and Ginny are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of today (June26), Ginny is on prednisone and tagamet. I decided against chemo. I don't know why, it just didn't feel right. She's eating really good now. Loves her new dog food. She thinks the kibble is treats because I'm hand feeding her, but training her to eat out of her dish again. The canned food is especially for cancer and she really loves that. She is even chewing on her raw hide sticks again (she hadn't wanted that in weeks). She's being a little more playful but it's in spurts. Mostly just napping.
Thank you all for your thoughts on here. I appreciate that. Don't forget to check your pet food about those bad ingredients. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...et_Food_API.htm

Ginny --> http://www.dogster.com/?161299

·
Registered
40 Posts
My prayers go out to you and Ginny. Enjoy this time you have with Ginny. I know this is a really hard time. I just went through something similar a few months ago. One thing I can recommend is to spend as much time as you can with Ginny (which it sounds like you do a lot of that already). You gave Ginny a great home and she'll remember that forever. You will never have any regrets when her time comes. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Cheryl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear of your medical issues. We are dealing with one as well. However, we've only known our pup for 1 1/2 weeks. Her prognosis is bad with a solid grade 6 PDA. She walks around with me, but when I stop, she drops. It's hard...and will only get harder if she lives very long.

So my heart goes out to you!! Take care.

These are such beautiful bassets shown here!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts