Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've know quite a number of bassets with lymphoma. I hadn't heard of many with it for a number of years, but lately I've known several people whose bassets had lymphoma.

Unfortunately lymphoma in dogs is usually not curable-I've never heard of a dog cured. It is possible to obtain remission using chemotherapy. My vet had one older basset with lymphoma that she treated with only prednisone and he lived for two years after diagnosis.

Here's a few aricles with additional information:
Odie's Year with Cancer:a journal of one basset's struggle against canine lymphoma.

Lymphoma in Animals

Lymphoma in Dogs

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I lost one 3 year old basset to lymphosarcoma and 10 months later I lost my other to lymphoma. I believe their cancers were caused by the chemicals a lawn company was treating our yard with. I know this doesn't really answer your question. you can try the Cornell University site. I think they have some write ups on this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing this information. I found a lump on Jake's neck the other day and immediately thought of this. He had a lump previously on his chest that was aspiration negative and removed (because of where it was it was irritating to him). He just has not been himself for the last week and I initially thought it was the holidays and all of our company, coming and going. Then I felt the lump. He goes to our vet tomorrow--who coincidentally lost a one of her bassets, named Longfellow, to lymphoma.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts