Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with a luxating patella?

Rufus was just diagnosed with one. What is the quality of life without the surgery? I'm going to start with glucosamine chondroitin in the hopes that that will help. However, that stuff is so expensive within a year I'll probably be close to the cost of surgery.

Thanks,
Jill

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
One of my bassets, Bugsie, had surgery for patellar luxation when she was a little over a year old. Her quality of life afterward was excellent. She was able to compete in obedience and agility with no limitations, after her recovery period. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My girl was just diagnosed with this condition as well. I started giving glucosamine/chondritin supplements recently. She will be 4 in May. My vet did not give me an estimate for surgery but gave me a card for a surgeon. He also said that surgery might just make it worse so he did not recommend it at this time. When she "trots" you can hear the popping noise and I'm concerned about arthritis setting early.

Betsy, may I ask how much the surgery was for Bugsie?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Bugs had her surgery in 1992, so the expense probably wouldn't translate, even if I could remember how much it was!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts