Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like it might be a great book BUT I must protest part of your description on "Lunchbox and the Aliens." The remark about Basset Hounds being "not too bright" is misleading. As in all breeds, some are some not, and most are not in the Basset Breed. Of course, I have only been in contact with my Rosie and she was extremely smart and I bet a lot of Basset momma and daddies think the same.

Nonnie

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
"not too bright" is definately misleading, But "stubborn" is definately correct term to use.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have met many Bassets and know ten of them VERY well, including my own very sweet but not too intelligent Moe. I would have to say from my own personal experience that 50% of my Basset friends are not too bright. One of them (this makes him 10% :wink: ) is generally believed to be comepletely brainless by all who love him so dearly, including me. He is one of the offspring of the famous and prizewinning Great Gatsby (I'm not comepletely sure of his whole name but Gatsby is definately part of it). With such a father, of course Ollie is a perfect and wonderfully handsome Basset, who is also as sweet-natured and loveable a marshmallow as you could ever hope to meet but he is most definately NOT the brightest bulb in the chandelier! :) Of the ten Bassets, perhaps two of them are near-genius... and of course they are females!!!! 8)

Terry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rosie preferred to being "know better than Mom or Dad" instead of stubborn!. LOL

Nonnie - Sandra

G

·
With all due respect....I've had many dogs in my life...Irish Setter, Mutt, Golden Retrievers....and had Hub been my only basset..."not to bright" would be the politest way to put it.

Then we adopted Ohdee...and she is VERY bright. Dog to dog...I don't think we can generalize. Just like people, they come in all shapes, sizes and with a variety of IQ's.

The book looks very cute!

·
Registered
104 Posts
i agree. it's incorrect to generalize.

incidentally, in my experience the smarter Bassets have been tougher to train and more misheivous, whereas the less gifted ones are more affectionate and better behaved. of course, this too is a generalization and not true in all cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts