Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4 month old Basset, Droopy, just finished her puppy shots on Thursday. Yesterday, Friday, I noticed a knot on the back of her neck. I didn't really think much of it, because that is where the vet gave her the shots. I just figured it was swollen and would go away. However, the lump is still there today and doesn't seem to be any smaller in size. It's right under her skin and you can kind of move it around. It doesn't seem like a hard lump, it is very soft.

Does anyone know if this is normal, since she just had her shots? I didn't notice anything like this when she had her last set of shots. Since it's Saturday, the vet is closed for the weekend, so I can't ask her. I would just feel better if maybe someone could assure me that it is normal swelling associated with her shots. Thanks

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Swelling at the injection site is one of the more common vaccination reactions. Keep an eye on it, and she'll likely be okay until you can talk to the vet on Monday. If the area gets very large and painful quickly, then you could consider taking her to see an emergency vet.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
This may not be related at all, but thought I would mention a similar experience. Murray developed what my vet called a 'sterile abcess' at the site of his 1 1/2 year vaccination- it was soft and squishy and over an inch in diameter- he said it was an uncommon immune system reaction to the vaccination. It went away by itself gradually, but we titre now rather than do routine vaccinations because what happened was a little out of the ordinary.Just thought I would mention this possibility; you may want to discuss it with your vet.

[ October 22, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've seen that with some puppy vaccinations before. It did go away- but seemd like months-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. I was feeling it ealier and she didn't even seem to notice. I will keep an eye on it and call the vet on Monday and see what she has to say.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check with your vet but it may be a simple lipoma. Francis has a couple of them and the vet says they're usually harmless if they don't grow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts