Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucien made an unexpected journey to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. We went to the vet a couple of weeks ago because he started coughing. The vet listened to his heart and lungs, said they sounded great, and diagnosed him as having even worse allergies and hayfever than we originally thought. We got medication and he seemed to be improving daily.

Last week, his coughing got worse and he started breathing very rapidly. I was very worried and called my friend in vet school late at night to ask for advice. She listened to him and said it sounded like asthma and for us just to make a regular appointment, not to worry about going to the emergency vet in the middle of the night.

On Friday he was a lot worse. I had been bribing him to eat all week since he didn’t want kibble. He got ham, bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, cheeseburgers, bologna, hotdogs, and Popeye’s chicken and biscuits—all his favorites. But Saturday morning before his vet appointment he wouldn’t eat at all.

As soon as the vet saw him she told me to prepare myself, because Lucien was seriously ill. They put him into ICU and started him on oxygen, then took x-rays. His lungs were so congested you couldn’t even see his heart. The vet told me that without exploratory surgery she couldn’t say with 100% certainty, but she was about 99% sure he had end-stage lung cancer and he had probably had it since well before I adopted him. He had never shown any recognizable symptoms up until the very end. She said she could sign him out to a 24-hour vet for monitoring and surgery but the best they could do would be to confirm the diagnosis. Recovery would not be possible. I talked to my vet school friend today and she told me that she had known it was either asthma or something much, much worse, and making an emergency trip to the vet wouldn’t change the outcome either way, and if it was bad, she wanted me to spend his last few days enjoying and spoiling him rather than worrying and obsessing. She was right to do that.

It was very hard but I made the decision to let him go. He passed very peacefully and I feel so lucky that I was able to have a year and a half with him and that he was able to enjoy all his favorites his last week. I know I told him how much I loved him every single day I had him. He was the sweetest boy in the whole world. All he wanted was his dinner on time and to cuddle and lay in your lap. He has been to the BROOD Ramble and the Boardwaddle and spent many happy hours at House of Puddles. He loved everyone he met, human, doggie or kitty. He was very patient and let mommy put a dress on him for Halloween. He even had his picture in the newspaper last month for civic activism, since he and Lilly were helping me try to get a legal dogpark in our neighborhood.

His passing was much harder on Lilly than on me. She howled and cried and searched for him all day yesterday. My friend Marilyn at House of Puddles offered me one of her favorite bassets, Becky, to be a new companion for Lilly. They were already best friends and loved each other very much. We went and picked up Becky last night so Lilly will never, ever have to spend even one day alone. I know Lucien had a paw in this because he hated for anyone to be sad, it would make him sad too.

Melynda, the Momslave to
Lilly & Becky, and Lucille
Lucien and Agnes Marie (ATB)
Max the Really Bad Siamese [email protected] (ATB)
Pawshington, DC (DogsnotCats)
Visit our Dogster Pages! http://www.dogster.com/family/77740

·
Registered
63 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

I hope that Becky can help Lilly & you.

Just remember that we never truly lose those we love.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Very sorry for the loss of your beloved Lucien. Take comfort knowing you always did the best for him and that he knew how much he was loved. I hope Becky is helping Lilly adjust to the loss of her friend. Happy thoughts to you all.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am very sorry about the loss of your special boy. I know how hard it is. I honestly believe all our beloved furry friends who have gone are at the Rainbow Bridge, and I know that there are many at the Bridge to be friends with Lucien.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he had a wonderful mommy who took very good care of him. Glad to hear you already have a friend for Lilly.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Sincere condolences.I'm so sorry you lost Lucien, but happy to hear that Lilly will have a new friend. I know it will help her through the mourning period. Peace.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I am so sorry. It sounds as if he had a wonderful time in life once he got to your house, and was much loved.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sorry. You will all be in my thoughts - hounds and people alike. His last days with you were what everyone deserves. And remember that he knows how much you loved him.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm so sorry about Lucien. He has joined the many wonderful Bassets from this forum at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure he's having a wonderful time romping and being pain free. I'm so glad Becky has come into your home, and I'm sure Lucien is smiling down on Becky and Lilly. I know your heart is heavy, and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Lucian's passing. Sometimes the term "At the Bridge" is overused, and I don't stop to think about what it actually says, and what
comfort it is to imagine our babies so happy and waiting for us...however it's a story like this that brings it back and reminds me that dogs like Lucian
are the exact reason I know it's true.
Big hugs and healing drool to you, Backy, and Lilly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Lucien and my thoughts and prayers are with you both!

You sounded like a wonderful mom to him and I am sure all the great memories you to had together will be in your heart and his forever!

Take care and know we are all mourning with you!

Kathy

·
Registered
272 Posts
oh, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Brought tears to my eyes.
But it sounds like he had a very happy life with a wonderful and loving family!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I too am sorry to hear of your loss. It is obvious that Lucien had a good life with you.

~Heather

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful time you all must have had since the day he came into your life. He was blessed to have a great family like yours to love him. Please take care. Extra hugs and kisses for Lilly.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. PLease accept my condolences, it's so miserable to lose a friend!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lucien was a very lucky boy to have spent his last year and a half being loved and cared for by you. The fact that you loved him enough to let him go peacefully says a good deal about your devotion to him.

I hope Becky and Lilly have many happy, healthy years together....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone. We are still very sad but it helps to read all your kind thoughts and words. Lilly is still depressed and searching for Lucien but it is so much better to have Becky here with her. If you would like to more about Lucien's life, he is on the Basset Hound Town blog, at http://www.bassethoundtown.com/blog/2008/0...rainbow-bridge/

He was such a special boy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts