Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Oh I just can't believe this, it is so sad. I am crying for you as I write this. Prayers and hugs to you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm so sorry. What a heartbreaking story. Dubya was much too young to leave you. I hope you find out what caused this horrible thing to happen. Rest in peace, sweet Dubya.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Very sorry!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Such a sad bit of news. I am so sorry. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

G

·
so sorry for your loss, how sad, and its got to be especially hard when its totally unexpected.
you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

G

·
So sorry to hear about Dubya. What a tragic loss. I'm with Steinar, I would have a vet check things out, because it might prevent something similiar happening in the future. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
We called the vet and he felt that bloat was probably the cause. I just hate it so... My kids have begun the healing process and have written a couple of poems about Dubya and my youngest daughter Darby has been drawing pictures of him. I just miss him so much and can't believe he's gone. Seems kind of quite around here. My husband thinks we should get another Basset, but I don't know. You can't replace Dubs and I know he's only trying to help his girls.

We have a few acres and found a nice place for Dubya's resting place. We wrapped him in his favorite blankie with his favorite toy (a stuffed soccer ball). We all had a good cry and it's just been kind of quite today.

The girls and I went grocery shopping this afternoon and then to the craft store. Everywhere we went we saw Basset's. On calendars and sales fliers and posters. I had never taken notice to things like that before. My daughters and I stood there in Hobby Lobby crying because there was a calendar with a Lemon and White Basset on it that looked just like our handsome Dubs. I know people must have thought we were crazy. This was the first time we ever owned a Basset and the first hound we ever had. Little booger impacted us more than we thought.

Again, I want to thank all of you for the support and prayers. Unless you've been slobbered on by a Basset you just don't understand. And although others can say they are sorry they still don't comprehend the pain. You all do and it has made it easier by reading the messages. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Eric, Kelley, Taylor and Darby - grieving our sweet boy, friend and family member.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the first post where I have actually cried on this thread. My older basset has been having some problems lately, and just the prospect of losing her has made me a wreck, I can't imagine what you are going through.

You can never replace Dubya, and if and when you feel ready for another basset hound, do not go into it thinking that you will replace Dubs. You never will be able to do that. Another hound will only help you cope, and sooth your pain, which I think is a good thing, but you need to wait until you are ready. Mourn for Dubs. If you try to get another dog too soon, it will be worse than not getting one at all. It will be too hard to give it the love and attention it needs. You need to remember Dubs, but also remember that a second hound is another animal. If you get another, You need to keep in mind that s/he is another loving family member, and you will grow to love him/her, as much as Dubs. The love will be different, but it will be equal. You will always remember Dubs, especially since he was your first.

I think I speak for everyone, both spoken and silent here, from the newest members, like myself, to the very oldest, You are in our hearts and minds as you go through this difficult time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Such a terrible loss. You're right, these hounds just wrap their fatty feetsies right around our hearts in no time at all.

I think getting another basset is a good idea, you wouldn't be replacing Dubya at all. But, speaking from experience having a new furbaby around does help heal a broken heart. It would also be a wonderful testament as to just how much Dubya touched your lives in the short time he was with you.

My best to all of you.

G

·
Gosh, I'm a little behind(kids are out of school)but I am terribly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. They really do make a HUGE impact on your life and are such a BIG part of your family.

Please know my family will say a prayer for you and your family.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts