Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are mourning the loss of our sweet Dubya today. We found him this morning deceased. He was fine yesterday and had no signs of anything being out of the ordinary or wrong. What a terrible thing when our eldest daughter discovered him. Dubya was just a little over a year old and there seemed to be no signs of trauma or distress. Is this common?

We miss his big ole floppy ears and wagging tale. How hard this is. I have lurked here most of the time and joined in on the Christmas card club. Hug your hound today and say a prayer for our little broken hearted family.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
How horrible! Only a year old! Could he have bloated?- that's the first thing to come to my mind. I am so so sorry for your loss!It's never easy to lose a beloved hound, but to lose one so young is tragic.You and your family are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We normally feed him Alpo or Pedigree. Last dogfood I bought was from the local supermarket and I bought store brand because the other brands they had were by Diamond Pet. Small grocery store. He had only eaten 2 bowls out of that food. I am calling the company tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've checked everything. Every place he had been looking for a clue. But can't find anything. My husband did say that his belly seemed "very full" when we found him this morning.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm very sorry. He was really only a pup, and that must be very hard. When you are up to it, you might think about letting his breeder know, in case something heredity was involved.

A

·
0 Posts
I feel so bad for you and your family. I hope you get to the bottom of what caused this.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So terribly shocking and very sad.
I'm so sorry.
My condolences to you and your family.

(I will give my hound an extra hug.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much to all of you.. This has been such a sad day for us. I miss my little Dubya so badly. I keep looking on the back deck where he liked to play and expect to see him looking in the door waiting to come back inside.

I did some research on canine bloat and I wonder if that is not what happened to him. I just hate it so much. My daughters have done pretty good for the rest of the day but I've been a mess. He was my little doggie and I just miss him so.

Thanks again for all the hugs and prayers. I appreciate them all.

A

·
0 Posts
I am so sorry and shocked! My heart goes out to your family. Such a young little guy. I hope you do find out what is wrong. I just don't know what to say. You will be in my prayers. yvonne

1 - 20 of 40 Posts