Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to brush Murray and I noted the reddened,dark, almost blackish skin and if I pull at the fur it will come out in a clump from the root. He doesn't want me to fuss with the area. Considering his tummy troubles, could this be an allergy, what should I try? It is an area of 5x5cm..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Allergies aren't easy to diagnose, even for vets. What's your vet have to say about his tummy troubles and hair loss? As Mike mentioned in another thread, thyroid problems can be the cause of skin/hair troubles. Hair loss can also come from things like rign worm. Only way to find out what's going on is to ask your vet. Also might want to ask him about a prescription food if you suspect food allergies.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Betsy,I am going to the vet on Saturday. I found an article on "seasonal flank alopecia" and it describes it to a "t".
But I know it could be a million other things. I will ask for the Rx food too.
Murray had a very bad reaction to Heartworm preventative treatment and had something like ITP ? This was a couple years ago.. He just has a weird immune system.

A

·
0 Posts
I am going to show my absolute ignorance, and ask what is "seasonal flank alopecia" ?

Mike, Max's daddy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murray has been on a strict diet of Venison and potato since our last visit to the vet. His rash is almost gone and his emesis problem has stopped.
The only thing he does is lick his paws constantly after awakening.. but other than that.. he is great.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Mikem, seasonal flank alopecia is hair loss, usually occurring on both flanks, which happens during certain seasons of the year. Sometimes it's not treated at all, and sometimes treated with oral melatonin. Hope this helps!

I'm glad Murray is feeling better!

Cindy

[ December 27, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: momof2slobberslingers ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts