Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m the owner of a 1 yr old basset hound. This is my first time owning a basset, and it has been difficult. I love her and wouldn’t ever trade her for the world, but she’s hard to train, and I still haven’t quite potty trained her. I feel so embarrassed.

I hired an in house trainer to help me out, but I told her that although lorelai was smart and caught on quickly, she sometimes refuses to obey commands. Basically only responds when she wants to even though she understands the command. The trainer frowned and just thought it was odd. I wasted a lot of money to help my dog. And I’m almost at square one still.

My worst issue is Lorelai’s refusal to pee outside at times. I would say she has an accident twice a week in the house in the evening. I don’t have a yard so she has to ring the bell to let me know when she needs to go outside to potty. The bell has been in use since she was 3-4 months old. I know she knows how to use it because she does tell me when she needs to go 90% of the time. I feel like her accidents are just being lazy. She will stop during play and then just begin the trickle. When I stopped her and told her to go outside she got upset and nipped at me for trying to make her go outside. I am very sure she knows what the right thing to do is, she just chooses not to. Can someone please offer help? I feel so stupid for not having a fully potty trained dog. We had been working on potty training since she was seven weeks old. I don’t understand why this is an issue and why other people’s dogs are so well behaved and trained.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I hired an in house trainer to help me out, but I told her that although lorelai was smart and caught on quickly, she sometimes refuses to obey commands. Basically only responds when she wants to even though she understands the command.
This is perfectly normal for a Basset Hound. They are not at all interested in pleasing you, they are only interested in doing things if they think there is something in it for them.

See Hard to Train? - Suzanne Clothier/Carpe Canem Inc. (you will have to copy and paste the link as hyperlinks are not enabled in this section).

First I would have her checked over by a vet to make sure there is not a physical reason for her being "caught short". Since it seems to occur usually during play, I would first make sure she potties outside before playing, then see if there is a certain time playing before she has to pee again. She may be so caught up in playing that she doesn't want to stop and go out. If you know how long she can go, you can stop before she runs out of "bladder time" and take her out. Of course, always reward for peeing outside ( you are going out with her and rewarding the behavior you like?).

The main thing with housebreaking is to limit the mistakes. Every time she goes inside it is rewarding to her(relief from bladder pressure) and encourages her to do it again. You need to stop her before she does it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to reward her for peeing outside until I thought she had the hang of it. I’m also having trouble rewarding her now because she dislikes treats now. All of them. She’s an extremely picky eater and will turn up her nose at anything she has eaten four times in a row- not daily but just over a period of time. Fortunately she never did that with treats up until now. It’s so difficult now that she despises all the treats I have for her. Now I have to buy new ones as an incentive. I have never met a pickier eater in my life.

She does have some incontinence problems we saw the vet for, but I’m noticing play time is the time she slips up and pees in the apartment and only at night. I will need to be more vigilant and take her outside at a specific time in the evening.

Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m the owner of a 1 yr old basset hound. This is my first time owning a basset, and it has been difficult. I love her and wouldn’t ever trade her for the world, but she’s hard to train, and I still haven’t quite potty trained her. I feel so embarrassed.

I hired an in house trainer to help me out, but I told her that although lorelai was smart and caught on quickly, she sometimes refuses to obey commands. Basically only responds when she wants to even though she understands the command. The trainer frowned and just thought it was odd. I wasted a lot of money to help my dog. And I’m almost at square one still.

My worst issue is Lorelai’s refusal to pee outside at times. I would say she has an accident twice a week in the house in the evening. I don’t have a yard so she has to ring the bell to let me know when she needs to go outside to potty. The bell has been in use since she was 3-4 months old. I know she knows how to use it because she does tell me when she needs to go 90% of the time. I feel like her accidents are just being lazy. She will stop during play and then just begin the trickle. When I stopped her and told her to go outside she got upset and nipped at me for trying to make her go outside. I am very sure she knows what the right thing to do is, she just chooses not to. Can someone please offer help? I feel so stupid for not having a fully potty trained dog. We had been working on potty training since she was seven weeks old. I don’t understand why this is an issue and why other people’s dogs are so well behaved and trained.
Lorelai is right on schedule, don’t you worry and don’t be embarrassed! Bassets are the slowwwwwest at potty training and females are the slowest of the slow! We have been owned by plenty of bassets and currently have one who was almost 2 before the accidents stopped, and I’ve heard their little bladders often just don’t develop like other dogs. Yelling at her only makes it worse, especially if is he just plain can’t hold it yet. One day she WILL get it, wishing you good luck and lots of slobbers!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts