Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We recently lost our beloved Basset and are looking for another to cherish. Does anyone know someone that might have male tri-color pups, either now or in the next few months. We are looking for a perfect, show quality MASSIVE male Basset. We are located on the East Coast, USA. As much as I hate to say it, money is no object. We just want the most beautiful male puppy we can find.

Thank you all in advance,

David

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I suggest you sart with the BHCA breader referral. Also of strong note is "massive" is no longer winning in the show ring so there has been a move toward moderate sizing in the US. for truely massive you need to look to euorpean origins. Most breeder can be protective of there show quality pups and won't do anything other than a co-ownership arrangement. If you are looking for a show quality dog but not interested in showing many breeder have retired dogs (adults) that are not part of there breeding programs future available as well.

FWIW one of the more prolific show breeder on the east coast and most likely to have a litter or litters on the way is Topsfield Bassets

FWIW Money is not ussual the problem when it comes to show quality dogs they are generally not outragiously priced but breeder are exceeding picky with just cause on where these dogs end up. The don't like kick starting a breeding kennel that they know nothing about. Hence co-ownership arrangemnets and the like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike! That was very helpful. I guess we should be looking for a more European derived Basset. We would, of course, agree to neutering any show quality male that was purchased. I will reach out to Topsfield as soon as possible. Can you suggest any other top rated kennels (they don't need to be on the East Coast).

Best,

David

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
We would, of course, agree to neutering any show quality male that was purchased

Yikes!!!!! I guess your missing the point. I show quality basset is just that One projected to win a Conformation Championship. They don't grow on trees and the last thing a Breed wants is a show quality basset being nuetered because it makes the inelidgeable to being shown, In some rare instances if the breed has a lot of "show quality" males in a litter it may and again its rare send the dog to a "pet" home. Kep in mind the difference between a "show Quality" dog and a pet quality dog can be very minor and not really discernable to the untrained eye. I think what you are looking for is a "pet Quality" dog from a show breeder. These are general released with either or both a spay nueter contract or a limited registration that allows one to compete in AKC events but any offspring of the dog can not and will not be registered by the AKC.

Most show quality breeder have litters basically spoken for before they even breed the dogs. So it is likely they will aks you a ton a question, May need some verification of the housing situation your i.e. fenced yard, require personal or third party home vist to verify the condition etc. The code of ethics that these breeder breed by require they take ultimate responsibility for every dog they produce. So they are very picky about where the dogs end up.

see

Code of Conduct

Finding a Breeder

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes I'd have to agree... no breeder is going to sell you a "show quality" dog if you are not going to show it. That would be senseless. There are very often only a few if any show quality dogs out of any one litter. Therefore breeders are only going to place those prospects with people they know are going to follow through and show the dog. You want a show bred dog who perhaps does not suit the ring due to some reason or another... nothing specifically wrong with the dog aside from perhaps a tooth out of place or something like that. So it would be a "Pet quality" which makes it in no way any less of a dog than a "show quality" just that it doesn't have everything there that makes it a show dog. Some just dont have that "look at me" attitude or hate the ring... otherwise everything else about the dog screams "Champion". That's what you are looking for I would guess. The Hardimans are in New York and produce some fantastic dogs as well but I don't know if they'll be breeding anytime soon, Trystan is a bigger dog. I don't know that I'd say anything that Topsfield is breeding right now is the style you are looking for... not to say they aren't breeding some high quality dogs though but they are not the european style you are looking for. If I were looking for a big boned dog I'd look to the California breeders most likely... there are a few in the midwest such as Doug Taylor... he likes a dog with lots of bone. Don't know if he has any litters planned in the near future or not either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for correcting me. I guess we are looking for a show quality pet. Can anyone suggest some other high quality "European Style" Basset breeders?

Thank you in advance,

David

·
Registered
70 Posts
also usually quality breeders have waiting lists so don't expect to get a puppy that day or even in 2 or 3 months. It may take time, especially if you are looking for something specific. Good luck finding your special pup, I hope you find a breeder soon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
also usually quality breeders have waiting lists so don't expect to get a puppy that day or even in 2 or 3 months. It may take time, especially if you are looking for something specific. Good luck finding your special pup, I hope you find a breeder soon.
I can vouch for that! Been looking for a full year! And still, no hound! Oh yea, I could bring a pup home tomorrow if I wanted to patronize "money maker" breeders, but to find a breeder who is breeding for the advancement of the breed AND willing talk with a prospective owner who wants a "pet" has been difficult. Still, I am determined to find a match through a "responsible" breeder. I've narrowed the search to the hunting line, which is every bit as "narrow" as trying to locate a show hound. But in the end, I'll have a good hound!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You could try" Portail Basset Hound of the World" they have some of the breeders from Sweden,Finland,etc. listed on their site. Windsock Bassets carries a line of heavier dogs. Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can vouch for that! Been looking for a full year! And still, no hound! Oh yea, I could bring a pup home tomorrow if I wanted to patronize "money maker" breeders, but to find a breeder who is breeding for the advancement of the breed AND willing talk with a prospective owner who wants a "pet" has been difficult. Still, I am determined to find a match through a "responsible" breeder. I've narrowed the search to the hunting line, which is every bit as "narrow" as trying to locate a show hound. But in the end, I'll have a good hound!

unfortunetely we got Fred from a borderline byb. We didn't know at the time though. The guy knew all the right stuff he did do health testing but lots of stuff wasn't perfect. We just hope we're lucky but are preparing for anything.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Why not attend some shows in your area, or better yet a Basset specialty? You can meet dogs from a variety of breeders and see which ones seem to be producing the kind of dog you are looking for.
Actually, if you don't mind going cross-border I know a breeder near Montreal with really nice dogs who prefers large bassets. She has a couple of stud dogs she imported from Europe which I used to try to bring some size back to my dogs.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
to expand on Mirriam post above You can find listing of AKC Conformation shows in your area at AKC event search many forgo this option because they did not know such info was readily available.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here is a link to the kennel in Nebraska where we got both our Bassets. I knows she ships across the country, and is very careful about who gets her Bassets. She shows in the midwest, Nebraska, Misssouri, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. and cares about the breed working on conformation and temperment.

Both Bubba and Bogie were out of champion parents, but were sold to us as pet quality. Bubba, our first Basset, was pet quality because he outgrew his ears, basically. He had been shown at six months, and we got him as an eight month old after she decided not to show him any longer due to his ears barely touching at the end of his nose. He was a larger Basset and big boned. Weighed in at 67 pounds, and was not fat.

After we lost Bubba to cancer when he was seven, we got Bogie from her. Bogie's right paw slightly turns out, therefore pet quality. Bogie was 10 months old when we got him, smaller than Bubba and he weighs 55 pounds. They both have wonderful temperments, and both are awesome travelers and companions. Good luck in your search.

Trumbull's Bassets - Home

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes... Mary and Ron Lukins produce some gorgeous dogs. They recently had a litter but there were only 4 boys and I think they may be all spoken for but I'm not positive. Very gorgeous european style dogs though. That's why I said you may want to look in CA as many breeders who have that style dog are in CA. The Desiree Acres kennel has some lovely dogs though... I've visited their site many times and talked to them both and several of their puppy owners. I also know the owner of the stud of their current litter through the web and he is a gorgeous dog as well. If you are looking for that kind of dog you may also want to check overseas. Von Hollandheim is the kennel the stud of the litter is from and there is also a breeder I know of from Hungary who produces very similar style dogs who sells to the US occastionally as well. They were just recently discussed on here My Destiny bassets.

Also thinking and I don't know if she's still breeding or not but I met her at Nationals. What about Bag of Bones bassets? It was a really nice lady from canada and she has some lovely dogs there with lots of bone to them from what I recall. Her one girl was woofing at me in the BOB ring at all the shows as they were just behind us in the line up. She was a hoot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oooo all the gorgeous hound dogs in these links!!

Our rescued hound dog came from a puppy mill I'd wager, but I can't tell you how often people say "why did you spay her? You could have made money from puppies " I love my Cannoli but no way she needed to be having puppies. She is a "gateway dog" though, I can see us going through this same search down the road.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Also thinking and I don't know if she's still breeding or not but I met her at Nationals. What about Bag of Bones bassets? It was a really nice lady from canada and she has some lovely dogs there with lots of bone to them from what I recall. Her one girl was woofing at me in the BOB ring at all the shows as they were just behind us in the line up. She was a hoot.
BAGABONES BASSETS

1 - 20 of 31 Posts