Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm posting here because I'm looking to adopt an adult basset/labrador mix. I adopted my first dog (a basset/lab, of course) from a shelter in 2003 and she is so wonderful. But now that she's getting older I'd like to add another dog to the family because I know my first love won't be with me forever. So if you know of a basset/lab mix (apparently called "bassador" according to google :huh: ) who needs a good home and is within 5-6 hours of central Ohio, please send a message to [email protected]

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Have you checked Petfinder?

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
one of ours is also a bassador and you are right, all the fun and good hound qualities with the obedience and desire to please of a lab.

ours was listed on petfinder at a local no kill shelter. good luck!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm obviously, by the answers already given, going to be out on a limb here but why on earth would you want to support somebody who is messing around with our beloved Basset :( Yes, you may well have lucked into a nice dog (and it was good you rescued rather than bought :rolleyes:) but anybody producing a mix bred puppy, of any combination, and especially one that involves the Basset, shouldn't be encouraged to be doing this. In other words, if you can find another one in a Shelter (hope not) by all means rescue it. But please, please do not support BYBing. Hanging a name like the Bassador on this kind of breeding doesn't make it anything other than a mutt.

Just to add even if the one you have now is a good dog, doesn't mean another one of this combination will also be. The trouble with mix-bred dogs is there is no Breed Standard, and every puppy in a litter, never mind from another litter, will be different. Getting on who has the same characteristics, and shape etc. can only be assured, if you buy purebred - from a reputable breeder at that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
They said adopted. I think a lot of peeps here have rescued. Like my Lula - she's a rescue. In an ideal world it would be great if all Bassets were from great responsible breeders but alas they are not. So when good people take on a rescue, a mix, a whatever please can we say hallallulah for that!

·
Registered
637 Posts
FranksMum, I agree with you that we don't want to encourage backyard breeding. But I don't think that all cross-breeding is a bad thing. There is some evidence that mixed-breed dogs are healthier and live longer than purebreds. The greater genetic diversity seems to be beneficial.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
There is some evidence that mixed-breed dogs are healthier and live longer than purebreds.
Actually no, that is a myth.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yep :rolleyes:

However, if the intention is to adopt (rescue) then that's to be applauded of course. It's just the idea of looking for somebody with a litter of mix-bred puppies, involving a Basset that makes me MAD. :mad: Sorry.
Me too! Why mess with something that's perfect.
I know here in the UK Millais crossed out with Bloodhounds and Beagles as did the great Mrs. Keevil (with Beagles) to bring in new blood to the lines. Bassets took a real pounding during and after the wars. So I guess that is hybrid vigour - what Wioleta was saying....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts