Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all hound lovers,

In part to glean therapy and in part to ask advice I have to relate to you all what happened this morning.

Lollypop and I walk in Rutland State Park most mornings as we did this morning. After our walk, Lollypop was reluctant to get in the car and began to play hard-to-get and keep away from me, so I started chasing her and we were, well, we were having a ball. The Rutland State Park parking lot is directly off rte 122A, a fairly well traveled country highway with a 50 mile an hour speed limit. Short of it is, Lolly was running along the side of the road and then ran right out onto rte 122 and was immediately hit by a passing car. I am having a very hard time right now coming to grips with the sound of the impact and witnessing her little body tumbling on the highway. I have never thought of myself as a screamer, but I did, many times over. I ran out into the road and stopped traffic both ways. The person who hit her did stop, but at the time I was unable to make sense of what was going on despite the fact that it all seemed in surreal slow motion. I thought she was dead. She was unconscious and blood was coming from her mouth. For some reason I guess I went into emergency mode and scooped her up, ran to my car, put her gently in the back seat and drove away to the animal hospital which I knew was down 122 in Paxton some 8 miles away. Miraculously she became conscious albeit very dazed. I drove (I admit) recklessly down 122 reaching speeds of almost 90 and passing some very irate people who, I'm sure, knowing the severity of the situation, would forgive me. I pulled into the animal hospital and ran inside. They were very good and sprang into action immediately. They took her from the car and brought her into an examining room where the doctor checked her out. Meanwhile, I was practically in hysterics. Actually I WAS in hysterics. I would not have thought of myself, a 47 year old male to be one given over to so hysterics, but I was that indeed. Apparently, the car ran over her head and, according to the doctor, is the strongest part of her skeleton. They took x-rays and all her organs and ribs are OK, no broken bones. She cut her tongue at the tip and part of her lip where it meets the gum has been severed and may require stitches, but apparently they cannot do it now as it would require putting her under, a thing we may do in a weeks time when she recovers a bit. She received a shot of pain killer and a shot of antibiotic and I brought her home. She is on the couch now sleeping, but SHE IS BREATHING! She is obviously out of it a bit from both the trauma and the pain killers. She is NOT hungry at all. We continue to check her gums as apparently if they turn white she may have internal bleeding. So far so good. My wife Nora and I are very worried needless to say, and we are keeping vigil over her as I write. She has gotten up on her feet, and she wagged her tail once in the doctors office when she saw me. I am frantic with guilt and worry, but mostly I am having a hard time NOT re-running these events through my head, in particular the few seconds leading up to, through, and after the impact. It may well be the single most traumatic thing I've ever witnessed. I am afraid to leave her side and I feel so much remorse and guilt at being so irresponsible. We love our hound Lollypop so very much. If all goes well, she will see her first birthday on May 30th. I am watching Nora feed her ice cream, something we would normally avoid, but we think she likes the cold. In the future, I will NEVER let her off leash anywhere NEAR a highway, road, lane, bike path or any place anything could do her harm. I learned my lesson the hard way.

If anyone has a hound who has been hit by a car and lived (or not), or, if anyone can offer us some advice on how best to treat her convalescence PLEASE let us know. We are sick with worry and simultaneously overjoyed that she is alive. I will keep everyone updated from time to time as to her welfare.

Thank you for reading but mostly, thank you for listening.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sending lots of healing drool to Lollypop. I hope she continues to do well, and heals quickly. I'm so sorry this happened to her, and unfortunately some of life's lessons are learned the hard way. I know how worried you must be, and that you are feeling so guilty that this has happened. It will take time for both of you to recover from this. Just love her and give her lots of TLC.
Hopefully your story will make others here on the forum aware of the danger of having an unleashed Basset.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
So sorry to hear about your horrible experience. When I was 4 my dog got hit by a car...he lived until I was in 3rd grade with no problems that I can recall. Good luck, sending positive thoughts your way.

~Heather

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow... not a fun experience but it appears she may have taken the best possible hit she could have given the circumstances. While I'm sure it will take some time for her to recover at least it's a good lesson to us all that on leash is the only way to do it with hounds. We are sending all of our positive vibes and healing drool her way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been sitting here crying reading your story. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes when we're are having fun with our hounds, or even our kids, we don't pay attention as much as we should. You should be praised for how well you responded to the situation - stopping the traffic, getting her in the car, and then to the vet. I am so grateful for you that she seems okay. Maxwell is sending his best hound bark for Lollypop's speedy recovery. Please keep the board posted so we know how she's doing. I hope you, your wife, and Lollypop can try and have a restful evening.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh my goodness, that is terrible for poor Lollypop and for you and I do hope everything will be OK with lots of loving care. :(

Personally, having had a lifetime of lots of Bassets, from pups, rehomes and ex-breeding bitches, I know that not one of my Bassets have had any road sense, unlike friends of mine who own Collies, Labradors and terriers who never ever stray from the pavement beside their owners and don't need leads on.

I could never ever let any of my Bassets anywhere in sight of a road unless they have their leads on because they would take off after the slightest scent of another dog, rabbit or whatever else leaves a trail and I would be inconsolable if anything happened to any of them.

I really feel so upset at the thought of what you and you dog experienced and I hope all will be well with no lasting damage. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lollypop update

Thank you all for your responses. It bring tears to my eyes and we appreciate your well wishes. Lollypop just may be a miracle hound. She has been sleeping now for about 6 hours. She had multiple contusions and areas where she was skinned pretty well by the pavement and a split tongue. I recently picked her up to take her outside to see if she had to pee and she did whimper a little. No go on the piddle by the way. She recently drank a lot of water and had some baby food! Her gums are still pink! she is wagging her tail now, but she is still a little zonked out, but definitely more alert. We are keeping a constant vigil. I think we are the luckiest people and hound on the planet right now. I am still mortified, horror stricken, guilty and ridiculously emotional. My sister in law just gave me some valium for which I am grateful. I have been so wired and am an emotional train wreck, so I think it will help. More pain killer to be administered at 10:00 (for Lollypop), and she'll sleep in our room tonight for the first time! Again, thank you all so much for your well wishes and hound drool. Looks like it has helped Lollypop, Nora and me.

More tomorrow morning! Cheers big ears!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Franciscan Prayer For a Sick Animal

Heavenly Father,
You created all things for your glory
And made us stewards of this creature.
If it is your will,
restore Lollypop
to health and strength.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
And holy is your name for ever and ever.

Amen.
Wishing you and your family, God's peace and healing for your heart, soul and most of all...............Lollypop!​

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lollypop latest

Well she is sleeping this a.m. She took her meds and ate a little breakfast. She also piddled last night around 1:30 a.m.! Doc says it will be a week at least of bed rest. Like anything, head trauma takes time and plenty of rest. Prognosis is as well as can be expected considering the circumstance. She is so adorable, and I hate to see her suffer. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

As always,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow, it is hard not to cry reading this. Please keep us informed, hope she gets all better soon. I need to go now and hug my puppies.

·
Registered
878 Posts
How is Lollypop today? I couldn't help thinking about her today and how much pain she has probably suffered... I do hope she is making gradual improvement and will be back to normal with a lot of love and attention.... bless her heart...

Just always be careful and keep Bassets on leads if there's a road within 100 metres as they can take off at a rate of knots if they smell something that interests them or if a cat appears... and it's not their fault!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thinking of you today and hope she is doing better. I know your heart is breaking as we try so hard to provide the very best care- but accidents do happen. Lollipop knows that you never would have put her in harms way intentionally so please don't be too hard on yourself. Sending lots of healing drool from my three houndies!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Still praying for your Lollypop girl! Hope you all are doing better today!
You are providing tender loving care for you pet, remember to take care of yourself too!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lollypop update

Lolly is more alert now. She cocks her head when we speak to her. She has peed a few times since the accident, but still no poop. She has not had a whole lot to eat, but she does have an appetite for wet food. She even eats puperoni's again, something she wouldn't touch the first 36 hours. She still has trouble walking, but she can stand up and take a few tentative steps before lying down. Vet says it will take a week or two of convalescence before we know whether she will recover fully. Breaks my heart to look at her, but she seems to be the same loving sweet hound we knew albeit a bit slower and MUCH less active, as it should be I suppose.

I carry her out to lie on the lawn in the daytime. She likes to look at the squirrels and she has growled once or twice (however weakly) at passing dogs. She wags her tail whenever anyone approaches, especially mommy and daddy. She is sleeping a lot, something we encourage. She is not that interested in water which worries me. We have used a turkey baster and will continue to do so, but it is obviously an uncomfortable event for her.

We kiss, caress and coo to her constantly to let her know we are here. She is sleeping right now, and I will sleep on the couch next to her again tonight. I am as thrilled she is alive as I am heartbroken she is in pain. I am very worried still, but there is no internal bleeding and she is conscious, two major positives. Breathing has calmed a bit mercifully as she has been breathing pretty rapidly and panting a bit over the last 48 hours. Seems better now.

Again thank you all so much for your encouraging words and your buckets of hound drool. We really appreciate it.

Love and slobber from Lollypop to everyone and to all your hounds.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts