Basset Hounds Forum banner

Local Microchip Clinic

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ra5146 
#1 ·
Our local vet with the help from a local Memorial Microchip Fund, had a clinic to inject microchips last weekend. They offered 100 microchips for only $5/each. They plan to offer this again in the coming months, with the hopes of doing 1000 microchips. Our vet normally only does 10-15 microchips a year, but with the help from the Memorial Fund being able to buy them through non-profit, they had dogs lined up & down the street.

I wouldn't mind doing this if I could get the hounds in to the next clinic. I've never asked the vet before, does anyone know what these normally cost?

#3 ·
I wish I could remember. I had both my dogs chipped. It wasn't $5 but I had it done with some routine other stuff and it wasn't much either.[/b]

mine were $40 each, but we were going thru dog tags like crazy, plus i just like the idea that if they get lost and lose their collars or tags, i have one more way to get my babies identified. So, $80 was definitely worth my piece of mind.

#5 ·
Chipping is so great!

There was a post on another board earlier this week about a basset in a kill shelter in Ohio that has a New Mexico chip. The chip had been implanted in 2000. I was horribly worried that the dog got old and was dumped.

When the owner moved from NM to OH they didn't change their address/phone with the chip company. Lukcily the people in OH tracked the chip down, got the owner's current address and Cinammon was reuinted with them. She'd been in the shelter for a month before Ohio Basset Rescue got her out.

The moral is - CHIPS WORK!

#6 ·
Both of my dogs are chipped. It was $20-30 each. The needle they use to inject it freaked me out (it was big), but my dogs didn't seem to mind.

~Heather

#7 ·
With some chips, you pay the vet to place the chip, and then you write another check to the chip registry, when you send in your dog's information to register the chipped dog. Either way, $5 is almost like getting a chip for free! :) That's a great deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.