Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread on here about pet stores, etc...got me doing a little looking around into what happens to unsold dogs. One of the local malls has a basset puppy for sale. I was reading online that some rescue organizations have steps to follow as far as getting the pet store to turn over the dog...have any of you heard of this? I am a member of BROOD and wondered if there was some way I could help this puppy, I know I certianly cannot and will not buy it, but whats the solution?...hmm...

~Heather

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Well, I found this on the Kerry Blue Terrier Foundation site:

http://www.kerryblues.info/index.html?http...CUE/WHYNOT.HTML

(go to end of page and click on 'instructions': I can't link the instruction page for some reason)

They seem to have a national rescue director, and give instructions on what to do if you find a Kerry Blue in a pet store:

2. Notify the Kerry Foundation's Rescue Director (1-800-532-2890) as soon as possible. You will receive help, advice, and ongoing support.

9. Everytime the price drops on the unsold puppy, notify the Foundation Rescue Director. Once it becomes obvious that the store is pricing the puppy at a loss, and needs the floor space for more marketable puppies, the Rescue Director will negotiate for the release of the puppy to our Rescue program.

Although I volunteer with United Against Puppy Mills, I'm not personnally familiar with this type of pet store rescue- why not contact the Kerry Blue Rescue Director and ask for advice?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that site too, thats what got me thinking. It seems that they are a breed specific rescue. I did contact BROOD, I'm just waiting for a reply. I'm probably going to go to the pet store this weekend and am going to follow some of the Kerry Blue website's suggestions, see how much he costs, etc be a detective of sorts...

~Heather

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I heard back from BROOD. They said that all we can do is hope that the puppy goes to a good family and that selling puppies in a pet store isn't illegal in VA. I am dissppointed, but I know how swamped they are...no one can save them all. :(

~Heather

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I hope that pup isn't returned to the puppy mill where he likely was bred.

I started volunteering for United Against Puppy Mills because several years ago I witnessed dogs being auctioned by a broker at one of the local Lancaster County farmer's markets- they were crammed into tiny crates with no room to stand, and it broke my heart because I couldn't do anything to help them.When I called the Humane League and reported what I had seen, they told me that nothing illegal was being done.

Even though I couldn't help the dogs that day, I hope that some of the volunteer work I do towards getting the Pa. Dog Law changed, and to get the word out about this dispicable industry, does some good in the long run.

Your heart is in the right place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts