Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset, who is 7, was on prednisone (10mg/day) for skin allergies. A month ago, I thought I'd see what would happen if I dropped the pred. and changed dog food. Just to see if she MIGHT have a food allergy. Since there is no pollen around here, I figured that would eliminate most outside causes.

It didn't work, so I took her to the vet for her checkup, and the vet said to give her one and a half tablets a day (30mgs) to clear up her rash. At the time, she had her checkup and all was fine.

Last Sunday, she started breathing funny...short breaths. We took her to the vet. They ran some tests (xrays and blood tests) and said that her liver was enlarged, and her lungs were cloudy. The xrays showed no other things that were out of the ordinary, but some of her liver enzymes were high.

She stayed for 2 days, and finally came home Thursday. She is on 2 antibiotics, 2 vitamins, lasix, and 5 mgs of prednisone. She is doing better than when we brought her home. At that time, she couldn't even go out to do her doggie business without stopping to rest.

She, being the stubborn dog she is, refuses to eat the expensive dog food the vet prescribed. She did give me a list of OK foods, so Sadie is eating, drinking, and going outside to pee/poop. Pill time is a battle of wills. As soon as she thinks I'm sneaking a pill into her food, she refuses to eat. I end up shoving them in her throat and holding her mouth shut until she swallows them.

Just wondering if anybody has experienced this?
I'm just wondering if the vet realized she had the 20mg tablets of pred when he said to give her 1 1/2 a day. It just came on so fast...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome, and I'm sorry to hear about Sadie's recent difficulties. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
Those are some great links! And I thought I did a fairly thorough search of the web! I wish I'd seen them earlier.

Sadie's vet is very knowledgable and concerned, but I'd never been given an alternative to prednisone. If she gets through this, that will be the first thing I suggest!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Good luck--I hope some combination of therapies works for Sadie. :) We've tried pretty much everything on the list of alternatives, and nothing works as effectively as the steroids. :( Bugsie is older and now only needs the steroids during the spring and fall, but there was a period of several years when she got them every other day, year round.

[ February 21, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Have you tried : Cyclosporine Approved for Treating Allergies in Dogs as an alternative?

Additional links
Cyclosporine decreases skin lesions and pruritus in dogs with atopic dermatitis: a blinded randomized prednisolone-controlled trial*
Moreover, the anti-allergic efficacy of CsA appears comparable with that of prednisolone. We propose that oral CsA should be considered as a valuable alternative to glucocorticoid therapy in dogs with AD.
Cyclosporine

You may want to consult with you vet about Nutraceuticles thoughT to protect and/or help heal the liver.

Milk Thistle: Effects on Liver Disease and Cirrhosis and Clinical Adverse Effects
Clinical efficacy of milk thistle is not clearly established. Interpretation of the evidence is hampered by poor study methods and/or poor quality of reporting in publications. Problems in study design include heterogeneity in etiology and extent of liver disease, small sample sizes, and variation in formulation, dosing, and duration of milk thistle therapy.
Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

S-ADENOSYLMETHIONINE
IN THE TREATMENT OF ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE

SAMe and Liver Disease
The supplement is sold as a prescription drug for liver disease in most of Europe, but due to a lack of research is not widely accepted in the U.S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to thank you all. Sadie didn't make it. She passed on early Monday morning. Now I wish I'd checked about her meds a lot earlier. What a great site for basset "owners"!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Sadie didn't make it. My condolences to you and your family. :(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Sadie. It's so hard to lose them at any time, and especially hard when it is not clear what the cause was. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
10 years ago, I nearly lost a basset to a failed liver caused by phenobarbitol taken because of epilepsy.
She had regular liver function tests and we were on the look out for the signs. Liver failure caused by toxicity happens very fast. It is almost impossible to prevent, I doubt there was anything you could have done differently to prevent it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm so sorry to read about Sadie. The prednisone may have had nothing to do with her liver problems. And if the pred was related, you gave her a happier, more comfortable life than a dog that has intolerable itching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"And if the pred was related, you gave her a happier, more comfortable life than a dog that has intolerable itching."

That's what the vet told us. She said she'd have died a lot sooner from infection had we not treated the allergies.

Thank you all for you suggestions and condolences.

Give your basset an ear rub for me and Sadie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts