Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leeloo (8-year-old girl) has had problems with skin infections on her lip for a while now, ‎because her lip folds are trapping moisture. Her lower lip gets red and itchy, sometimes to the ‎point of bleeding. We tried different things, one of them were Malaseb (miconazole) ‎cleansing pads. They did not work very well, and Leeloo absolutely hated them, probably ‎because they irritated the sore spot even more. ‎

In August the vet prescribed Neo-Predef & Tetra Powder (neomycin). It worked, at least for ‎a while, then the infection would return and I had to apply it again for a couple of weeks. So ‎overall I have been applying neomycin to her lip since August. About a month ago, she ‎started drinking huge amounts of water – she would drink every drop of water I gave her, so ‎I started suspecting kidney issues. We did the tests which came back with protein in urine ‎slightly elevated. I discontinued neomycin (although the vet assured me that it is not ‎harmful) because I read several studies on humans that showed neomycin to be very ‎nephrotoxic, even if given only topically. Since I stopped neomycin they retested her urine ‎and her results were normal. Her lip, on the other hand, is in a horrible shape :( . I'm using ‎herbal meds (yarrow topically and olive leaf orally) but they don’t really work. Have any of ‎you encountered a similar issue, and do you have any suggestions for a less invasive ‎treatment for skin inflammation? I would hate to damage her kidneys in the process of ‎curing her lip! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks..‎

Monika

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray has had bouts of irritation in his lip folds due to moisture. I came to the same feeling about the malaseb, and now I only use that when there is no open sore- I just wipe and dry once each week with malaseb for maintenance. I try to keep the folds dry- after eating and drinking I just do a quick wipe around his mouth. This has helped alot.

This has just been my experience with Murray,his problem has been fairly minor, and it sounds like your dog is having a pretty severe problem. How about a second vet opinion? I would be interested in hearing how it goes-

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I use a 50:50 solution of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. I wipe down the lip folds as often as I think of it, trying for at least once a day. There's also a surgical option, where the skin folds are tightened up and excess skin may be removed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I have been trying to keep it dry but it hasn't helped much. I'll talk to the vet about the surgical option. Just looking at her lip it seems that tightening it a bit would help keep the drool from spilling out. Betsy, have you ever done it with your dogs or do you know anyone who has?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No, none of my dogs has had the surgery, although I sure think about it when the one who has trouble is having a particularly nasty episode. At the moment, I can't think of anyone that I personally know whose basset has had this surgery.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When we were in Blue Springs Missouri, Speedy had the surgery. He was about 7 at the time and it was a new type of surgery. It didn't work. I always felt bad for putting him through that and it not doing any good. I'll never do that again. Just my experience. SPEEDY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts