Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sort of a strange malady, curious if any other hounds have had this. Our older Basset Maggie had her teeth cleaned about two months ago. Week or two ago her mouth was, well, absolutely foul to the point that we thought she must have an absessed tooth or other part rotting away. My wife finally took her to the vet and turns out she had some funky stuff growing on her lower lip, sort of hidden by the jowel, and not real noticeable except....for....the stench! Phew. After antibiotics and some powder, it's clearing up. All we can figure is she is a total biscuit addict, and spends much time in front of the biscuit cabinet (she's blind, so we think she's mentally willing that ...the door...will.....oooooooopen!) with her drool working, that she just keeps her fur wet there and got this stuff growing, whatever it is. Just curious, anyone else experience this kind of funky growth on the lip? Hope you never do, it was foul!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I don't know if it's the same stuff, but if I don't wipe the folds on either side of Murray's lower lip after he eats or chews on a bullystick, it gets red and sore and stinky. I also swab the area with Malaseb flush once and a while, and I think that helps too.

Hope your new pup is doing well- she must be getting big!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Buffet has the same problem. I use a 1:1 white vinegar:rubbing alcohol solution to wipe down the skin folds around the lips several times a week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts