Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you have a guess as to what's going on with Rufus...He's 1 yr. old, played 5 days ago at his buddy's house for about 45 min. where they really ran around and wrestled a lot. Walked home with him, left him for 1 hr. to go to the store, came back and he was limping.

Vet said wait and see for about another week (she couldn't find anything obvious). He's still limping (rear right) but if he want to counter-cruise (e.g. last night's quesadilla) he will and if he want to jump on a visitor, he will! Once he starts walking it seems to loosen up but after resting and then getting up it's very stiff.

I thought it might be pano because a few months ago he had pain in one front leg for a while, then his other one - but then it went away. But exercising shouldn't cause pano, right?

I hate seeing him in pain. I know he wants to go for a long walk but I'm not supposed to take him - short ones only.

Twisted ankle?

Thanks,
Jill

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I thought it might be pano because a few months ago he had pain in one front leg for a while, then his other one - but then it went away. But exercising shouldn't cause pano, right?

I hate seeing him in pain. I know he wants to go for a long walk but I'm not supposed to take him - short ones only.[/b]
Excersise won't cause pano but it can aggravate it.

Soft tissue injuries if not accompained by swelling and inflamation can be difficult to diagnose as well. However crate rest is about the best thing for a soft tissue injury strain, sprain, bruise. pull, tear, etc. after 2 week the temporary repair is genenral quite stron. So if pain and limping continue to occur after 2 week a consultation with a vet specializing in orthopeadics is in order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excersise won't cause pano but it can aggravate it.

Soft tissue injuries if not accompained by swelling and inflamation can be difficult to diagnose as well. However crate rest is about the best thing for a soft tissue injury strain, sprain, bruise. pull, tear, etc. after 2 week the temporary repair is genenral quite stron. So if pain and limping continue to occur after 2 week a consultation with a vet specializing in orthopeadics is in order.[/b]

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
For some reason I thought pano only affected the front legs. Am I wrong?[/b]
Pano can effect any long limb in the dogs body ulna, radius, humerious, femur, tibia, fibula or multiple of them. On reason it wander and can effect the same leg nore than once. The front legs are usually but not always where it starts.

Canine Panosteitis from Textbook of Small Animal Orthopaedics,
The initial presenting complaint is usually an acute onset of lameness persisting for 2 to 14 days(1,4,20) with no current
history of trauma. The disease begins in the bones of the forelegs, with the ulna being affected most often (42%), followed by
the radius (25%), humerus (14%), femur (11%), and tibia (8%). The severity of these attacks becomes reduced and the
interval between successive episodes increased with advancing age.(22) The degree of lameness usually increases during the
first few days of an attack, remaining unaffected by either rest or exercise.(5) Periods of lameness are often accompanied by
anorexia and lethargy. There may be a spontaneous regression of signs within 3 to 4 days with or without therapy,(22,23)
however, more commonly the lameness is noted to shift from one limb to another every 2 to 3 weeks,(2,9,23) with occasional
lapses of one month between episodes.4 In general, the pattern is from front limb to hind limb to recur again in the forelimb.[/b]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts