Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Well for starters, you really need to use complete crate rest and only take him out to empty, on a lead - which I appreciate for a pup of this age, might be difficult. In a way, even if pain relief works, it may be that feeling no pain means he does more damage unless you employ a strict routine that doesn't allow jumping. I'm assuming he is lame on his front? You may be looking at, eventually, surgery to try to correct what's going on there. If his deformity isn't corrected, he may become arthritic, which is a whole other problem.

I'd suggest a second opinion at least, and maybe x-ray although you can clearly see what's going on there.

If you do opt for surgery to hopefully straighten that foreleg, you should probably wait until the growth plates have closed, or you'd be looking at more than one surgery. And it's going to be costly in any case - would his breeder help with that?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If this is Pano, which looking at the photo of this lad I'd say it's not, as not for nothing is this called the creeping disease as it affects all limbs, not just one, (Edit - although not more than one at the same time, usually) you 'd know. And Pano is very painful. I'm glad the link to Firzpatrick has been posted here - he has done loads of ALD surgeries, often with great results. But again, I think you 'd be asked to wait rather than get into this kind of surgery on one so young (only 5 months and obviously still growing).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Thank you. Right now he's on adult large breed (no puppy). Initially, I was mixing the regular puppy with all breed adult but just recently switched to large breed adult. Should I go back to puppy and give him large breed puppy? I finally found two possible ortho vets in my area to consult and have sent out messages to get appointments.
As said, the products only really vary in the size of the kibble if you are talking about feeding 'large breed' food. I think, on balance, I'd keep him on puppy food for a few more months. Mine tended to go ff puppy food by around 8 months, by which time I'd switch to either a Junior version, if available, or to Adult.

Noel Fitzpatrick is based in the South of England. But his online articles are interesting and informative, if nothing else. He's EXTREMELY expensive in any case - and much of his work tends to be with people who have pet insurance, to cover his charges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts